Anal Gland Problems
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anal Gland Problems

Anal Gland Problems

One of my pups was starting to poop this morning but he started yelping when halfway through. Somethings bothering him on his rear end. Notice him dragging his butt across the yard until he finally let out a thin poop unlike the other dogs.

I heard dog owners talking about an impacted anal sac and the need to express it sometimes.

Do you think this is the case here?

I had to bring Dodi, my male beagle, to the vet because he was continually licking and biting his rear end. He was also leaving foul-smelling secretions wherever he had to put his backside down. Pooping was ok though. The vet had to express his anal glands and gave him an antibiotic shot. The vet said I may have to bring Dodi back for another anal sac "expression" when I observe him dragging his rear end again.

Quote Originally Posted by Missy View Post
    One of my pups was starting to poop this morning but he started yelping when halfway through. Somethings bothering him on his rear end. Notice him dragging his butt across the yard until he finally let out a thin poop unlike the other dogs.
    I think you should bring your pet to the vet or a groomer who knows how to properly express the anal glands. If you have to wait and see, the anal glands might get infected and you'll be facing a much more serious and expensive problem.

Agreed on taking the dog to the vet. Personally, I would go to the vet first to get a diagnosis. Then let the groomers do it, they usually charge less.

You know what, I think anal sac expression is an art and I am no artist....can't figure how to do it and you bet i've tried so many times. just pay the groomer to do it now. less stress for me and my dog.

Beagle Smell

I'm wondering whether your Beagle smells like mine.

I mean, I have other dogs but my beagle smells different, it's not offensive just distinct.

My friend says her Beagle smells like tortillas

Well something's wrong and I too hope that you took your dog to the vet ASAP.

I have had two Beagle's with anal gland issues. My current Beagle, age 10 has to be taken to the vet twice a month to have her anal glands expressed. I questioned my vet on what might help her. No help. I did some reading & found that increased fiber may help. I have begun feeding her oatmeal in the morning every other day. I give her 1/2 cup with a small amount of milk. She is doing much better. I still have to take her to get her glands expressed; but only about once a month. She was also crying when she had to go. I have also switched dog food with a higher fiber content. I told my vet what I was doing & he did not say anything. All I know is that this has helped her!

My Peggy has to get her glands sorted every few months and it's always the right side, could it be a breed thing?

Anal Gland Expressing

The glands are use for territory marking and domestic dogs dont do that like they did. So they become impacted and infected and thats when the vet bills start.

If you have a groomer, have them show you how to do it. Its not difficult but quite smelly!, and do it in a washtup or outside. I use to do my Gilligans all the time, he even seemed to feel better afterwards, or maybe it was just the bath!!

+ Reply to Thread