Beagles Unlimited Forums banner

New female 'dominating' existing male?

3K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Mom2Beagles 
#1 ·
Hello. I just recently got a new female Beagle that is 4 months old. I also have a 7 year old male (Chihuahua/Dachshund mix) that has been in the household. They have been playing a lot the last few days since introducing them. Today I have noticed while they're playing the new female Beagle will try to mount the existing male and is kind of trying to wrap her mouth around his neck if that makes any sense (both while mounting, but also while playing). I've also kind of noticed the hairs on her shoulders standing up from time to time. I kind of get the idea she is trying to establish dominance over the existing male, but I may be way off. That's just the feeling I get somehow.

1. Do you think the female is using this as a way to establish dominance over the existing male?
2. Should I let them figure it out?
3. What should I do about it?

I don't want to jump the gun and take action if it isn't needed, but I also don't want to wait and run into larger problems down the road.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.