Desperate because of fleas
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Desperate because of fleas

Desperate because of fleas

I used diatomaceous earth dusting my dog against fleas, he was on k9 Adventix, Frontline, Capstar. He is on Sentinel and Comfortis now and still has fleas. I comb him with a flea comb every day and also brush him. I put the fleas I find in hot, soapy water. He got flea allergies. I used several flea shampoos and creams and sprays, he developed little bumps and they became black. I give him Benadryl and the vet gave him antihistamin/cortison pills. Side effect was urine leaking.
    I treated my home with diatomaceous earth, flea bombed twice, sprayed, vacuum twice a day in the meantime washed everything, pet toys and bed and my dog came home bathed at the same time.
    I do this for three weeks now and still see fleas on him.
    I'm desperate. Can anybody advice me what to do, pls?
    Judit

Hi Judit ,
    From reading your post you have obviously worked very hard and still having flea trouble.

Something is being missed or things would be improved by now.

OK , as far as the dog goes , for now stay with the Sentinel and Comfortis and don't miss a dose. More on this later..............

For now try this for a plan , and it will be good to get some help, perhaps on a weekend.

You will need to treat the outside yard with a good insecticide. The one I use is Spectracide for yard pests, I get it at Walmart.

To apply use a tank sprayer or hose end sprayer , mix as directed. Apply starting at the house foundation all the way around and include any porch,steps patio and garage/carport and treat out at least 50 feet from house in a continuous circle.
    Do not let pets or people walk on this until dry. Note: Do this on a day that you expect no rain for at least 48 hrs.

What you are doing inside should work , however , think about areas that may be missed when you used the "flea Bomb".
    For example , the bomb does not get under beds , some tables, china cabinet sofa cushions etc. So as you can see , you have
    done a lot of work , but could have missed a few places and this is important with fleas. Note: turn off AC and anything with a gas pilot as bomb may be flammable, and plan to be away from home for a few hrs.

The vacuum is the biggest weapon you have when doing battle with fleas. You should use a generic flea collar inside the disposable vac bag and vacuum as much as you can at one time and try to get under things as best you. Note: Get someone to help you if you can as the vacuuming up of adult fleas ,eggs, larvae and pupa is a big part of this fight. Just as soon as you stop/finish vacuuming , remove the vac bag, quickly put in a plastic bag and tie and put outside'

There is a 3 week window in flea life cycle that make is it advantageous to use the flea bomb and spray under everything you can again in 3 weeks following the first major attempt. This should put the breaks on the fleas, just give it a try when you have some help..........

Best , oldhounddog
    Last edited by oldhounddog; 10-13-2011 at 01:49 PM.

@oldhounddog thnks I do the flea collar in the vacuum already.
    Things are a little bit better but I still find some fleas on my dog.
    The thing is I can't walk my dog for a long time - I am disabled- so I take him to the dog park every day.
    So much fleas there and I am still wondering why those repellents are not working?
    Thnks for all the advices
    Judit

It sounds like you're doing everything you can. It doesn't sound like it's possible to have fleas in your house any longer. I suspect that your dog may be picking up the fleas at the dog park.
    Clayton James
    Founder of FreeBeagleTraining.com

I never used commercial flea products but do you know the product Advocate? They say that it's very effective in removing fleas.

My vet doesn't carry Advocate and gives out prescription for other things. Since we moved the problem went away. He in on Sentinel , I tried Capstar, Comfortis, Frontline, Avantage II, Adventix.
    Nothing really helped, the most they work for 2-3 weeks max.
    My question how do you buy Advocate?
    Judit

kutyuska

Advocate is a Bayer product that is sold Austrailia , it is the same product sold in the US under the name Advantage multi.

Here is a link to a pet shop in Austrailia for Advocate... http://www.ozpetshop.com.au/product_...roducts_id/343

Sorry to take so long to answer. BTW , the Sentinel product you are using is a good one... IMO

Best , oldhounddog

Thanks, problem solved already.
    The thing is anything I use is good only for about 3 weeks and not a month, Sentinel is good but still need something for live fleas.
    Novartis stopped Sentinel, there is some problem, not with medication but the packiging , I don't know exactly. I still have it for a year. Thnks.
    Judit

+ Reply to Thread