Beagles Unlimited Forums banner

How to raise rabbit beagles

6K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Hunt 'Em 
#1 · (Edited)
I joined a beagle trial club to get access to rabbit pens to train my pups. Some of the guys tease me because the wife and I keep them in the house and let them sleep in the bed with us. They say that they are never going to be hardcore rabbit dogs and not be able to keep up with theirs that they kennel outside. What is your opinion on the proper way to raise beagles to be good, dependable rabbit dogs? Does keeping them inside really decrease their ability to hunt hard? What has been your experiences?

#3 ·
My two bitches, aged 2 1/2 and 1 live in the house and sleep on the bed at night. During the day, when I'm at work, they are in a quarter acre pen with their Igloo houses stuffed with shavings and straw. They are rabbit hunting fools that work their little hearts out for me and put my friend's outside kept hunting beagles to shame. I'm usually the one who gets cold way before they do. As long as they are hunting, they are happy little girls!

I think it would be a matter of fitness that wouldn't allow a dog to keep up with a hard running pack. As long as your pups are getting enough exercise to allow their bodies to get fit and they are game, house raised or outdoor raised shouldn't make any difference in my opinion.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.