Beagles Unlimited Forums banner

Stray Beagle

4K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  PaulaP 
#1 ·
Hi, my family picked up a stray beagle wandering the interstate in the snow today. We took her to the vet and found out she is a 7 year old female, no spayed and only 14lbs. which the vet said is 1/2 the weight she should be. We have 2 doxies and weren't really thinking of adding a dog to the family as I babysit for my 3 grandchildren 1, 2, & 3. She is a very sweet and gentle dog so far. Could anyone give me some info on Beagle, pros & cons regarding potty training, health issues, general info to help us decide if we can keep her or if we need to take her to the shelter or rescue if there is one in our area. We live in Bettendorf Iowa. I would appreciate any feedback.

Thank you,
Paula

#2 · (Edited)
PaulaP ,

Beagles have a sweet personality and get along well with other dogs and love having a family environment to belong too. There are no health problems that I am aware of that would be peculiar to Beagles, and, do well with just regular health care and flea treatment for warm season. I have had a Beagle for an inside pet and kids just loved the dog. House training may be as easy as letting her out often to start with until she learns to tell you when she needs out. Since her food source history is uncertain , she may need to adjust to her new food. Bless you for rescuing this poor girl from the cold and giving her love and care , something she may have never known. Please let us know how things go.

Best , oldhounddog

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.