Beagles Unlimited Forums banner

Rattle snake vaccine

6K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  oldhounddog 
#1 ·
Is anybody had this vaccination to their dogs?
Is it safe?
We moved to an area which is full of snakes, I'm still hesitant to get the vaccine because my dog has allergies, environmental, food and who knows what else.
The next time to get the vaccine is on this Thursday . I need answer ASAP , pls!

#2 ·
kutyuska ,
I would ask your Vet about the use of this vaccine with your dog. The vaccine may only be effective for one type of Rattle snake and the vaccine is still fairly new. You may want to take some time and think carefully about snake proofing your house and yard. There is a lot of information on the web about how to do this. Basic prevention is to keep the area close to the house foundation clean and clear so a snake has no cover , keep grass cut short and yard clear, check to make sure any void under steps is closed up tight and move trash cans (if any) away from house. Always look down at stair steps even if only a small one before you or your dog go out and then look under your car before walking close to open door. Develop good habits and awareness when going out and returning home and walking your dog. Talk to your friends and neighbors about this problem in your area.

I have similar snake problems in my area.

Best , oldhounddog

#3 ·
Thanks, I live in an apartment , on the second floor, so at home he it's OK.
The apartment complex is in a park, with coyotes,mountain lions
and rattle snakes. If I know well the Diamond back.
This is new for me. The vet who is close to us says the vaccine is important , I asked another vet he says the same thing but don't they all? The vet carries antivenin. I know even if my dog gets the vaccination he needs antivenin also. I heard hunters vaccinate their dogs. I'm afraid of side affects.
Anyways what do you do when you walk your dog?
I try to stay on the grass , is it safe to walk on grass? I also watch as I'm able.
Oldhounddog , it's comforting to know you always answer.
I appreciate it a lot!

#4 ·
kutyuska ,

My thoughts on snake avoidance and safety:

Awareness of your environment and Education will help.

You will need to get in the habit of thinking about safety in your area before leaving your apartment and learn to see through informed eyes that look down and around with a sweeping glance first before you proceed with any activity as observation is the key to avoidance. Soon this will be second nature.

Always look under your car and the car next to you before you walk up.

Keep Ace close and on short leash , walk in the middle of sidewalks

Know your local area and stay away from any area where snakes have been seen. Ask one of your neighbors about snake problems around your apartment and parking area. If you do see a snake go in the other direction and keep your dog close.

Stay away from rocks and water , tall/uncut grass bushes/shrubbery or any debris pile and the base of trees and buildings.

Never sit or step over anything without first looking on the other side.
Before selecting a seat or bench at a park carefully look around the bench/seat “First”…

Snakes can be out anytime , but , the most risk is starting at dusk until dawn the next morning when they will seek shelter from heat. Avoid walking at night or in areas with dark shadows.

Always keep doors and windows to car and apartment closed.

Always be in tune with what is going on around you.

………………………………...................................................................................

Things to know in advance:

Phone number of Vet , after hours and emergency contact information names and numbers. If you know two Vets in your area collect the same information for both.

Contact numbers of friend or relative close to you.

Name and phone number of local hospital and emergency number for EMT.

Program these numbers into your cell phone and always have it with you.

……………………………….....................................................................................

If you will be going to any area where Ace will run loose you should practice recall with him and reward for correct behavior.

Hope this helps.... Best , oldhounddog

#6 · (Edited)
kutyuska ,

To answer your question about what I do when I walk my dogs:

I have 10 hunting breed dogs , 8 are hounds and 2 are setter mix. What I do in part depends on the season as we have a lot of snakes down south and our activity in summer is more protected than in winter unless we are in a clear field or park setting. For the most part I walk my dogs one at a time down the streets around our home keeping them with me and not letting them stray into the woods and thick brush or rocky settings. This works fine and we play ball and mostly just walk together. If going down a road with tall grass I make them walk by my side and talk to them and give a few treats as we walk down the middle of the road. No late day walks close to dusk. I have spent much time working with my dogs for off leash training and have a very good recall , however , for the safety of the dog I always place a training collar on the dog I have out to make sure my recall is as close to 100% as possible. This safety is rarely needed. When I take my dogs to town or other area they are always leashed for safety.

Winter is very different here as when it gets cold it gets really cold. We can walk anywhere without fear of snakes. This is the time of year I will let them run and track until we get cold and need to go warm up. During the very cold I limit my dogs outside time and will put them up in their heated kennel area as sometime we have single digit temps coupled with winds of 10 to 20 mph so the wind chill is quite severe. All of my dogs get attention and love everyday while in there yard/run section, this is fairly large with 3 or 4 dogs to each section. One or two dogs are selected as dog of the day everyday so I can spend out time and give individual attention with each dog and work on training whjch as you know is an ongoing process and they love it. As you can see the cold weather is a time of great freedom for us and is only limited by my ability to keep up , being an old senior retired dog myself.

................................................................................................................................

I called our Vet clinic and inquired about the Rattle Snake Vaccine.
Our Vet does not recommend the Vaccine at this time and feels that the dogs need to come in for snake bite treatment anyway. I think this has to do with our part of the country and the type of snake is almost never known, having said this , I know we do not have the many Western Diamondback rattler that you have in calif so your Vet may feel differently. I have not been able to find anyone around me that uses the Vaccine , however , I did find some that have had dogs treated for snake bites and the dogs recovered fine , but we do not know what kind of snake it was.

.................................................................................................................................

Good Luck and please post how things go for you and Ace.

Best , oldhounddog

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.