Beagles Unlimited Forums banner

Beagle B.O.

8K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  chloesmom 
#1 ·
I've heard the term "Hound Stink" used before, and I'm wondering if that's what I'm noticing with my Beagle.
Every once in a while we have noticed a foul odor on her, we've pinpointed it to her back near the base of her tail. The odor doesn't last long it goes away on its own, and it's not all the time just once in a while. My boyfriend is far more sensitive to it than I am, I barely notice it unless he points it out and even then I have to sniff close to the area to notice it. We haven't been able to connect any situations to it, like heavy exercise or fear or anything like that. And it's not that she's dirty, sometimes its even right after a bath.
Wondering if other Beagles get this "B.O." too? Is it just one of those things, or something to be concerned about? All suggestions welcome :)

#2 ·
Wondering if other Beagles get this "B.O." too? Is it just one of those things, or something to be concerned about? All suggestions welcome :)
MaciMouse ,
For many dogs this is caused by grain heavy ( low quality ) dog food. Try taking a step up in quality dog food and see if it helps. For example Blue Buffalo Basics , Canidae and Merrick make quality dry kibble. You may want to consider grain free kibble. A feed store will be a good place to shop. Try to use a 4 star or better Dog food.

Check out http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/

Best , oldhounddog

#3 ·
We're feeding her TLC, it's equal to if not better than Blue Buffalo - based on the research I've done. The breeder even offered an extra year on her health guarantee if we keep her on this food. So I don't think it's her food. Is there a vitamin that may be lacking in her diet that could help with this?

#4 · (Edited)
MacMouse ,

I am not familiar with the TLC brand , however , when I looked at the ingredient list I was impressed. AS for vitamins and minerals it looks to have everything you could want in a quality dry dog food with the exception of vitamin K which is being removed from many dog foods.

The Hound odor in some dogs has been associated with yeast problems. This is just a guess , but , you may want to try a anti-fungal shampoo for dogs.

The Herbal package in TLC is another question as it is possible that one of the herbs could be the offending agent causing the Hound Odor in your dog.
You may want to try a test of single source protein simple diet for a short period of time , 3 to 4 weeks. I do understand about the breeder wanting you to keep your dog on high quality food and giving you an extra year on the health guarantee. Perhaps your breeder would go along with a short term test with a different protein source.

Only try one thing at a time so if something works to improve you will know what it was.

Sounds to me like you are taking wonderful care of your dog and I wish you and your dog good luck. Please post how things go.

Best , oldhounddog

#7 ·
When we adopted Vazzle she really was smelly and her fur was oily. We changed her food, brush her often and give her Vitamin E. No more stink and no more oil!

If the odor you smell comes from the back end, it could be an anal gland issue. That is a definate stink. If it is the anal glads your beag would probably be scooching her butt on the ground or carpets.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.