Beagles Unlimited Forums banner

how hot is to hot

6K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  oldhounddog 
#1 ·
hey everyone, my name is craig. i am new to this forum and very new to beagles. i have 11 month old female that is starting run rabbits fairly well but still needs alot of work. the buddy that i train with says that it getting to hot to run dogs here in Georgia. i dont want to wait till fall to start training my dog "Dixie" agian, so how hot is to hot.

#2 ·
Welcome to Beagle ownership! I imagine it is very humid as well as hot in GA? I generally try to base what temps my dogs can tolerate by myself. In the winter if it is so freezing cold that I don't even want to be out there, then it it too cold from them to be exposed for long. Same goes for heat. If you do light training early in the day and keep your dogs hydrated etc. they should be fine. Be prepared to cool them down if necessary. I think someone with hunting beags could give you a better answer.

This article should be helpful to you http://www.vetinfo.com/dheatstroke.html

#3 ·
Hey mom2beagles, yes it is always humid here. a problem for people and pets. The link you provided was very helpful in what to watch for in dixie to see if she getting to hot, thx. i would like to here from some trainers as to there ideas on how and when they train, i dont think training should stop just because it is getting summer time.

#5 · (Edited)
Hello caincuttercraig ,

You ask a question that has so many variables it nearly impossible to give a finite answer.

My name is oldhounddog , I train and run coonhounds and currently have 10 dogs that I work. Of this 10 , all but one are trained on a regular basis. These are very high drive dogs and will easily push themselves beyond the threshold of normal limits and thus must be carefully handled. I have hunted from north Georgia down to the Griffin area below Atlanta and central Florida from Tamps to Cocoa in high heat.
For the most part dogs need to be conditioned to the weather they are going to work/hunt in , however , variables like extreme infrared heating expressed not only on the dog , but , the ground heat also builds up very fast in mid summer. So as you can see the dog is getting it from all angles , from above and reflected back up from sand and direct contact with ground too hot for you and I to stand on barefoot.
In practicle application , dogs must be cooled down every so often as to prevent internal heat build up. This requires supervision and hands on ability to recall dogs even if they are conditioned to extreme heat. So , keep lots of cool water on hand for dogs and keep an area in mind that has shade , and in the very extreme cases get the dogs in the truck with you and the a/c turned on. If you hunt them for an hour , cool them for an hour…..
I run Redbone coonhounds , and I can tell you without a doubt that hunting dogs with very high drive must be supervised b/c they will push to exhaustion and beyond.

Just my thoughts from the past 45 hunting seasons.

Good Luck , oldhounddog

#7 ·
caincuttercraig ,

That sounds great , try running them early and late day and any time you get a break in the weather. Just take along aome extra water just in case.
Talk to your friend and plan to run your Beag with his when weather permits. I take mine out in pairs , and in late day they turn into different dogs, aware of things I can't see , hear or smell. The excitement builds almost to the point of not being able to hold them as they know any second I will release them to hunt. Even today, after many years running dogs it is exhilarating to watch as they leap to full speed in about 10 feet and sometimes snap at each other for lead position as the incredible powers of scent and sight become one.

Don't forget to take along a first aid kit for people and dogs.....

Good Luck , oldhounddog

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.