Beagles Unlimited Forums banner

Trouble Jumping

6K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  paw 
#1 ·
I appreciate any help and thoughts anyone can provide.

I have a seven year old beagle and I've decided to turn him from a backyard beagle to a hunting beagle. We're into this experience roughly three months and so far I think we are doing alright. If I jump a rabbit he'll give chase and with more time in the field I do think his tracking will improve. My concern right now is that he sticks close to me (within 20 yards) and doesn't go out-of-sight looking for rabbits. Once I jump one he'll chase them wherever they go but while we are walking he sticks pretty tight. I fear he relies on me and I want to make sure that doesn't continue or learn when to stop/prevent that behavior.

My second question is about pack hunting. I've only been able to get him out once with other dogs and again he only hung around me. Also, I'm not sure how often I'll get him in a pack but my hope is once a month. Do you think the pack hunt will come in time and is there anything I can do to help?

Thanks for any help and information.

#5 ·
Mackbeagle; I don't think running him with a pack once a month is enough. He should be with a pack a couple of times a week. Before I got more beagles, I only had one dog. He learned to hunt alone. He too is around seven. On a good day he will join in with my other dogs, but mostly he just hunts on his own or pulls them away from the track. You might be better off to start with another pup. Just my 2 cents.

#6 ·
i like my hounds in sight 30 40 yds i want them going with me non me with them get you a light field chair with back carry straps cut a sapling sit down and whittel he will start hunting from bordom this is best in off season in or close to rbt cover

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.