Beagles Unlimited Forums banner

Beagle Rescue. Need advice!

3K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Mom2Beagles 
#1 ·
My husband and I recently found a stray beagle. No tags, chip, etc. We've hung signs, called local shelters and vets, and spread the word about the poor pup. He's a small male, very loving and very well behaved. This is our issue: he seems to be more of an outside dog belonging to a farm or hunter. We're not sure of this, but he is preoccupied with being outside and following his nose (as a beagle should!). We take him on 3 long walks every day, but we don't have a fenced-in yard to let him roam. I can't let him out without his leash, even though he whines and paws our doors to be let out. Unless he's snuggling with us, he's walking from door-to-door to be let out (even at 5 am). This even happens as soon as we get back inside from a walk.

Since we both work, I'm at a loss of what to do until he's claimed. I know he'd prefer to roam free at his leisure, but I can't risk losing him. I'd greatly appreciate any suggestions as to what we can do!

#2 ·
mountainmama2003 ,
Thank you for caring for this Beag that is lost. You may want to confine him to a small area or crate him if you have a dog crate that would work while you are away at work. It would help if you could post what part of the country you are in. I am sure there will be a member that can help with finding a Beagle rescue group.

Again , thanks for helping a Beagle in need...

oldhounddog

#3 ·
Thank you for watching out for him! I agree about confining his area while you are at work. Maybe get a dog gate and have him stay in the kitchen with a bed, toys etc. He might be happy to look out a door like my beags do. I see nose prints all over the door from them looking out at the birds.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.