Beagles Unlimited Forums banner

Hello new Beagle owner here

9K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  sr41056 
#1 ·
I have a 1yr old male beagle. Trying to get him to go for rides as I want to take him camping and hiking but he gets car sick. Any suggestions would be helpful.

#2 ·
Did you just get him or has he been getting sick since he was a puppy? Lot of dogs start out being car sick but get over it with time. My first beagle was terribly sick in the car for the first 5-6 months we had him and then over time he stopped completely. Molly also was very car sick from nerves when we first got her but now she is a great rider. My brother's new dog was getting car sick and he used ginger capsules which are all natural and they helped a lot.

Try some sort rides with a window open a bit. Try to be sure he doesn't eat, take meds or drink water right before the ride.

#6 ·
I have a a 4 y/o and 12 y/o...neither get car sick but the latter we tried taking to NC to visit relatives and it was the worst 26 hours spent in a car as she did not stop yelping the entire time. When the 12 y/o was younger I would put her in a crate and she did fine...now she is old and gets really anxious.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.