Beagles Unlimited Forums banner

Epilespy

7K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  oldhounddog 
#1 ·
My husband and I have had the pleasure of owning a beagle/dachshund for about 2 years now. He was a rescue and is now about two and a half years old.
Today he has his second seizure....he doesnt show any warning signs of it coming on and seems to go from start to finish in about 5 minuts.
Does anybody have any personal experiance or helpful words to help Nathan, Myself, and Oscar our dog/dear friend through this?

#2 · (Edited)
MarthaRG , Nathan ,

I do not have any personal experience with seizure problems , but since you have had no response I thought This may help.

Helpful Links: http://www.canine-epilepsy.com

http://www.canine-epilepsy.com/subscribe.html

Helpful Blog : http://topazseizures.blogspot.com/

I do know that it is possible to have reactions to flea treatment products and Heartworm prevention products. You may want to consider your dogfood ingredients as I have heard that some spice or other herbs can pose risk: for example , Rosemary...
Avoid vaccinations or chemicals.

I hope Oscar will get better soon.

Best , oldhounddog

#4 ·
During a seizure

Hi BiggleBeagle,
From the research I have done since Oscar started having seizures, you want to treat a dog just like a human while they are seizing.
A seizure is a miss fire of the synapses in the brain which causes multiple muscle contractions through the entire body. It is best to let the dog be in the space and position it started the seizure in, unless it is in a dangerous spot. If the dog is having trouble breathing lightly tapping its chest and squeezing its paws will help them breath easier and come out of it faster.
With Oscar I have found it helps to gently rub/pat from his head to tail and talk to him letting him know you are there, during the seizure. It has helped him come out calmer and faster.
Oscar is getting better now that we have figured out He was getting a toxin over load from the food he was eating. Never will my pets eat anything Kibbles and Bits again. We now have him on Taste of the Wild dry and wet dog food plus fresh vegetables. Five months late his seizures are spreading back out and only last about 30 seconds.
I hope this helps you and your beagle out.

Sincerely,
Martha

#6 ·
Hi stella ,

That is a tough question. Perhaps you could make some phone calls and locate a Vet in your area with experience in treating epilepsy.
It may be possible for an experienced Vet to make a preliminary diagnosis with Blood and Thyroid panel test , urine analysis and bile acid test along with a good examination and history and come up with a treatment plan that hopefully will help your dog without further expensive test.

Sending get well vibes for your Beag...

Best , oldhounddog

#8 ·
stella ,

Sending the specimen along with your dog was a good idea. Anything to help your Vet make diagnosis will help your dog. I am hoping that your Vet will come up with a treatment plan. Please let us know what you find out............

Sending get well vibes !!
Best , oldhounddog

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.