Beagles Unlimited Forums banner

Rescue advice

5K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  SWLAmom 
#1 ·
My family is adopting a 2 yr old blue tick beagle from rescue this weekend. We have 2 young boys and a big fenced in backyard. Any advice?! :)

#2 ·
SWLAmom ,

I would make sure that your Beag is housebroken first off to get things started on the right foot. The best way to do this is crate training , and , follow this with basic command training using NILF Training method. I would also start your Beag on a good quality kibble from feed store or TSC and stay away from Walmart and groc store stuff. Don't buy a big bag until you find a kibble that your dog likes and does well on without any upsets. Get Vet and shot history if possible. Flea prevention of choice. IF more info is needed post back.

Good Luck with your new Friend.

Best , oldhounddog

#8 ·
Congrats and thank you for rescuing!!

One tip, even though he is house trained at his foster home, don't assume he will be 100% in your home. Take him out quite often at first and try and get his schedule down. Sometimes they wander and sniff when nervous and will mark areas.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.