Having trouble with my Beagle - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Having trouble with my Beagle

Our 1 yr old Beagle named Radar is the same!!!

I am so glad you posted this!! Our Beagle is almost exactly the same as yours!! He jumps on people and stuff - I have him mostly under control on our walks with is called a "gentle leader" - it looks similar to a horses bridle - but he rubs his face on the ground during his walks and this hurts our eldest daughters hands, so she doesn't like walking him anymore :-(
    We, as a family, had been looking at dogs/puppies for about a year when our neighbours dog came up on Kijiji - that is the only reason we ended up with a Beagle - he and our youngest (who is 3 yrs old) are best buds, but our 6 yr old daughter is mostly afraid of him :-( She is asking Santa for a Shitzu :-(
    Unfortunately, my hubby is getting more and more annoyed with Radar and is NOT really helping with his training, so I am now feeling badly for this little guy and he is not in a happy place :-( He looks to me as the alpha, but he still grabs things he shouldn't (and chews them) and after we thought he was getting better controlled with his "going in the house" he is starting again, but with the "jelly" like stuff (I posted on the Health wall too)
    Our pup's day goes like this: he sleeps on the main floor, usually on the rocking chair or the couch - I usually get up around 6:30am and have to literally lift him off the chair and make him go outside (he doesn't wanna get up at that time) - I will either hook him up out back (our yard is not fenced in, so he has to go on a lead out back) or walking out front, up our cul de sac street to the end wehen I have my school bus parked and let him "go" there while i start my school bus and warm it up. I take him back to the house and put up the gate for the shoes and sometimes put the "gentle leader" on as this also seems to discourage him chewing on items and destroying them. I leave and out 2 eldest girls get up. They have their breakfast and make their lunches and leave. Our 3 yr old is usually asleep with Dad as Dad works afternoon shift. I get him about a half hour after they leave and sometimes find that he has either chewed something or pooped on the floor :-( I put him out back whenever he goes near the back door, so he can associate going out with being near the door. I try to get some household chores done while he "roams" around and either lays on the couch with our 3 yr old or they play "chase" or "tug o war" - I then try to walk him out to the end of our street again, and then my hubby gets up. He doesn't really pay much attention to the dog as I was the one that really wanted a dog again(we owned a shepherd/samoyed before) - after he leaves, I get myself and our 3 yr old ready for my afternoon bus run. I leave about 2:30pm and get back around 4:30pm - our 2 eldest return home just before me, but they are too scared of him getting away to try putting him out back OR walking him :-( so he waits for me. I take him out again (to the end of street as I cannot leave the girls alone too long) and then I come back and make dinner and help girls with their school work and then do baths and such. Radar gets let out back if he is near the dorr and sometimes has to go in his cage while they are eating. Last night he growled at me when I yelled at him for trying to jump up and take dinner off the table, so in his cage he went. He acts liek he is STARVING!! I put Kirkland's Lambsmeal and Rice formula dog food in his bowl in the morning and try to not put down anymore at night (so he won't poo on the floor) - His progress is up and down and I feel very badly that 1) he was not even slightly trained when we got him and 2) I just don't have the time OR the patience to train him properly :-( and cannot seem to find another hoem suitable for him! and our girls REALLY don't want him to go. HELP!!!

Hi FamilyOfFive ,

When you have time read over this thread as it has a lot of helpful training information and several short training videos , one of which talks about the nose loop type head halters like the Gental Leader.

>He acts liek he is STARVING!!<
    A twice a day feeding schedule may help here. The Kirkland food is a good quality choice with value too.

>but he rubs his face on the ground during his walks and this hurts our eldest daughters hands, so she doesn't like walking him anymore<
    Many dogs will do this because the nose loop bothers them and they are trying to get it off. A front clip harness will help here.

>NOT really helping with his training, so I am now feeling badly for this little guy and he is not in a happy place <
    You can work on simple basic ( sit , down and stay ) while on daily walks and it will help much of this. At 12 months he is teen age , you will see a difference at 24 months with a little training as he will mature.

>Last night he growled at me when I yelled at him for trying to jump up and take dinner off the table, so in his cage he went.<
    You may want to put Radar in his crate a meal time or even feed hin his meal in a puzzle toy at this time.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Thank you so much for all you tips! :-) I was at a low place when I posted, but the last 2 days he has seemed to either sensed my frustration and decided to make more of an effort, or the ranting I did to the rest of the family has paid off cause my hubby seems to have been alot nicer to Radar the past 2 days and Radar has been on his best behaviour too! Last 2 nights no droppings were left for me to find in the morning and I have been getting our girls to cage him when they haver a meal OR we also found that a reg squirt bottle with water deters him fromt her table as well ;-)

Glad to hear things are better. Sometimes it just helps to vent , and , we are here to listen and help in any way we can.
    Please keep in touch.

Merry Christmas

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3