Beagles Unlimited Forums banner

Puppy pulls while walking

11K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  Smeagle 
#1 ·
Any tips for puppies that pulls fast when walking?

We're like going on a "push-and-pull" situation when we go on walks and it makes me not so excited to embark on our daily walks.

#3 ·
Agreed. Consistent training is a key. I'd strongly suggest enrolling your pup (and its owner) in a puppy kindergarten class or a beginning training class. You'll learn some valuable techniques there to get both of you off on the right foot.

Also keep in mind that beagles are, well, beagles. When they're out for a walk, they're busy exploring, sniffing and looking for stuff. They'll dart here and there, run to the next bush, and sniff a mail box post for five minutes if you indulge them. In other words, they act like beagles and not Labs or Aussies or collies. With consistent, well-directed training you'll be able to get them to behave better, but a beagle is still a beagle, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

#4 ·
I agree with AArrooooogh ! GO to dog classes. It puts you and your beagle on the same page. And like AArrroouugh said beagles need fun walk time and then training time. Dogs pick up the difference in your commands. REALLY ...go to a class...so many people have told me they are so GLAD they DID.

#6 ·
Try the eazy Walk front clip harness. I posted some info about it in another post a few weeks back. Works excellent. Badger has gone from trying to rip my arm off to walking beside me on walks. It different fro a regular harness. I'll have to get my box to get more info about it but if anyone wants more infor just let me know and I will post it.

#7 ·
Training beagles to heel is HARD!!!! Most of the time I use the stretchy retractable leashes, so they can sniff when they want to, but I can still have a lot of control if I need it. I have had limited success with training them to heel, but I haven't tried classes. That worked well with an impossible Alaskan Malamute (who also love to pull and are about 2x the size of a beagle) I had ages ago, I actually won a blue ribbon on him in the show ring. I would like to try Cesar Milan's collar (the Dog Whisperer).

#10 ·
The thing Badgers does everyone and then with the front clip harness is that he can wiggle his leg out This has only happened 3 times, but its a good reminder that if you get one make sure it is the right size and fitted properly. I love mine you clip the leash to the front at the chest and it stops them from pulling.

#11 ·
Training loose leash walk doesn't have to be hard, you just need the right method, good timing and consistency.

Our dogs only pull on the leash because we teach them that's how to get where they want to go. A dog is rewarding for the behaviour every time it pulls and it gets to keep moving forward. Don't let your dog pull - change direction by turning sharply on your heel in a 180 change of direction every time the leash goes tight. Praise and reward the dog for being on a loose leash. But keep consistent and approach each walk as a training session. You might not get further than half way down your street to start with but it does work.

Tools are just that, tools, and dogs can learn to pull on any of them if you aren't doing any training to go along with it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.