Beagles Unlimited Forums banner

Limping, lameness , help!

10K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  kutyuska 
#1 ·
Ace stated limping a month ago. Front left leg. Slightly swollen wrist. Little warm. Worst after resting, after the first ten or so steps getting better. Negative for Lyme, heart, neck, back good, nothing in the paw. X-ray shows nothing , even compered with right leg was good from paw to shoulder.
Got rymadil, Tramadol , dasaquin , no help. Now is on Prednisone.
I'm depressed , can't afford MRI, need opinions, pls!

#6 ·
I totally understand the money thing. They sure can get expensive, all it takes is a few vet visits.

This site might help you learn a few massage techniques you can do at home. Massaging some pressure points gently could help the lameness.

You can try to keep his weight down a bit by cutting back on the dog food and adding canned green beans that will fill him up but have no calories. Also you can replace treats with kibble. Cutting back on a few cookies makes a big difference.

#11 ·
Judit ,

First of all do not get depressed , sounds to me like you have taken all the normal and routine Vet related precautions. I understand about costs very well , so , with the limited info I have on Ace I will give you my thoughts on his joint trouble.

1. Make a serious effort to help Ace get to a healthy weight...
2. I would stay away from Prednisone if you can.
3. Swelling/fluid buildup in joint area is a key symptom. Could indicate a problem with the joint capsule and leakage of synovial fluid causing swelling. In my opinion (I'm not a Vet. ) the leaking synovial fluid will not harm the joint. However , you will need to think about saving up for a visit with a Ortho Vet as your regular Vet has prolly gone as far as he/she can go at this point.
4. There is a 50/50 chance that Ace may improve on his own if weight is controlled and you continue joint meds and mild exercise.

Best , oldhounddog

#12 ·
Thnks, weight goes down slowly, there is no swelling or fluid anymore .
Still limping after resting. I went with homeopatic " med". No help. Now I called the vet insurance and if I'm lucky they approve the CT . First I go to see the vet on Tuesday to fill out the request. It still will cost me about $ 300 but it's ok .
He gets mild exercise every day. When he doesn't want it anymore we go home.
He is on Synoquin again after a month. We'll see.
Thnks again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.