My 8 month-old Beagle is still suffering from Car Sickness
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My 8 month-old Beagle is still suffering from Car Sickness

My 8 month-old Beagle is still suffering from Car Sickness

My 8 month-old female beagle Tweetums still easily gets carsick even when just 15 minutes from the start of our ride. I thought car sickness was only in puppies. But my Tweetums has not outgrown being carsick and now we have to bring her along to spend a long weekend at the lake.

How can I possibly keep her from throwing up? Is there an OTC medication just like those for children? I don't want to starve her all the way to the lake.

Any advice will be highly appreciated.

Thanks!

my first dog almost always got car sick whenever she has to take a ride even briefly. I learned to avoid accidents by not giving her any food or water prior to the trip. She might have felt dizzy during the trip but at least there's no getting sick and throwing up inside the car.

Your vet can help you with some home remedies or certain medications for travel sickness. Our beagle, Jamby, drools non-stop and often throws up no matter how short the ride is. Our vet instructed us to feed her minimally the night before we leave. We have to give her small sips of water to prevent dehydration. We also had to make frequent stops for walks. Just refrain from giving out food or treats and don't be carried away by its long sad face.

4. Remove Advertisements
    BeaglesUnlimited.com
    Advertisements

Could the car sickness be from anxiety from being in the car? Some dogs, although rare, have anxiety will being in the car. If this is the case, then look into Bach's Rescue Remedy. Great for anxiety and stressful times. Works good on people too.
    If not, with holding food as stated above sounds like a good plan to me also.

Try Dramamine. It works well with our dogs.

Thanks for all the responses! I might try Dramamine but I have to ask the vet if Tweetums is old enough to have it though.

Some dogs never outgrow carsickness. Here are some recommendations though--

@ put him in a crate
    reaction : there are dogs that seem to get stressed even more when inside the crate. perhaps they hate the idea of being confined while the car is moving.

@ make the car a "positive and happy place" by bringing along his favorite toys and treats.
    reaction: good luck! I hope it works

@ if everything else fail and you are desperate, try OTC motion sickness pill for humans. Be careful though with the dosage though.

Please check with your vet prior to giving any human meds to your pets.
    I like the idea of the crate, seems safer for pet and owner.

I used to have the same problem with Bruno but thankfully he has outgrown it. However, as a precaution we permit him to stick his head out the window. He loves it that way and I can't remember him being car sick again.

It might be anxiety. I just talk to my dog all the time when we're in the car. I actually orignally got her from someone else and she said the dog would get carsick. She's never been with me, though, and so I tend to wonder if it's because of talking to her and petting her a lot as we go.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!