Beagles Unlimited Forums banner

how long does it take?

46K views 17 replies 16 participants last post by  fortion 
#1 ·
it's been 1 year since my beagle died. he was the only dog we had. got him when i was 12, grew up with him. i'm now 25, he was 13 when he died. even though a year has gone by, i still cry every now and then. well, just thought i wanted to share this with someone.

#3 ·
My youngest son got Ben when he was in kindergarten. He was a run away, and the vet thought he was 18 months old. Ben passed away in his arms last Halloween. Ben was one week away from being 19 years old. We miss him a lot. My son still wakes up at night and thinks he is there.
I have 3 beagles now, they are the best dogs ever.

#4 ·
My beagle boy, Snoopy, died last year. He was defending the yard and his older brother, Bou, from coyotes but they overwhelmed him. I still cry when I think about it and miss him a lot. I rescued another beagle named Baxter about a month after but I still cry when I see Snoopy's picture or think about it.

#5 ·
It never goes away! If your lucky enough to have the love of one of these wonderful dogs you have been blessed. I got my Beagle in 1990 when he was 9 wks old. Kinda stayed separate from the other pups and just sat and looked around. So I knew he had to be mine. Constant companion, loved riding in my truck setting in my lap with his nose out the window (0f course). In 2005 I had to have him put down. He was getting several cyists, had epilepsy, and was not doing well. Rather than have him suffer, I let him go and rest and play with others. Ill see him again I think!

#7 ·
For every hello there is a goodbye. It happens all too soon in the dog world. Whenever I get a dog I remind myself of this. As a child I lost a beloved dog, and my parents said no more. That made it worse. Now I have three Beagles, and I will not be without a dog as long as is possible. I've made arrangements for the present dogs, if something should happen to my husband and me. Since that childhood loss I have learned to try again. Saving rescue dogs has helped, because I know that 2 of mine would have been euthanized if I hadn't taken them. That helps heal the old sorrows. I still sometimes weep when I see a Dalmatian. I had to put an old girl to sleep 30 years ago. It's OK to feel sorrow over the loss of our dear friends, and it is OK to love others who need us.

#8 ·
Thank you all for adding to this thread. I think it is getting better. I haven't cried in a while. Being busy also helps. But every now and then, I will still have those dreams where he's still there, and either 2 things can happen: either i realize it's just a dream and gain consciousness, or I realize he's not supposed to be there but just try to stay asleep to spend more time with him. But still, i usually end up waking up no matter how much I try to fight it.

Again, thank you all for your posts. I doubt I'll be able to have another one. Happy new year.

#9 ·
We lost our Sam last March 16 (13 yrs) -It was the hardest thing we have ever had to do. She was a 6 week old pound puppy - I don't ever think you truely get over the loss - I think about her and talk about her EVERY day. Now, it does get easier - I don't cry as much but I do get choked up reading these stories or when I see another beagle! I don't know what it is about those dogs but I will never forget her - her loyalty and love was like nothing I've ever experienced before.

We are getting a new pup in the spring - yes, a beagle - and as painful as parting is - the years until then are worth every tear.

#11 ·
my beagle just died a few days ago and i cant ever imagine having another beagle. it wouldnt be fair to that dog because in my mind, toby was the best dog that ever lived and there will never be another one like him. my friends all want me to get another dog to take away the sting because i have never been without a dog with me. i know i need a dog to go out on the trails with me, feed the cows with me, and just riding shotgun in my truck and make me feel safe out in the remote countryside. but i cant, because every time i look over at the passenger seat, there he is, looking at me with his tongue hanging out of his mouth. its like losing a kid, it really hurts and it takes time to heal from these wounds.

#13 ·
I lost my beagle Cassie December 19, 2009. She died at the age of 7.5 from undiagnosed liver cancer. It was the hardest thing ever. I still cry when I think about her and look at her pictures. But now I have 2 new beagles that I rescued. I actually got them fairly soon after Cassie passed. The way I looked at it was that I couldn't help Cassie anymore. As much as I wanted her with me, I couldn't do anything. But I COULD help another poor beagle that needed a home. I ended up rescuing Stella, a 4 year old beagle in Jan 2010 that was hit by a car and animal control was going to put her to sleep. She is a super sweet beagle and the only lingering effects of her accident are a couple of scars on her right front leg. Then when 1 of my friends was looking to adopt a dog in May 2010 I took her to the same shelter where I found Stella. They remembered how I adopted my Stella and told me they had just received a call about another female beagle (1 year old) that was dumped at a vets office). They didn't have room for her at the shelter, but if I wanted to meet her they would pick her up for me. So of course I couldn't say no... so I ended up with Halley. Cassie will always be in my heart, but now I have 2 other beagles to brighten my life. :) I don't think I'll ever "get over" losing my beagle Cassie. She was 1 of my babies :) All I can do is share my love with my 2 new babies!

#14 ·
think that beagles need some more carefully caring...

#16 ·
My wife and I had Henna, a chocolate Lab, for 14 years.
After she passed, we waited for 2.5 years, all the time saying NO MORE DOGS because it's just too hard on us.

We decided in Spring of 2011 to get another dog, and decided if we were going to do this we had to down-size... a Lab was just too much dog!
We chose the beagle for the appearance, disposition, and size.
Little Jingo has given us so much joy already, she's the sweetest most loving little dog.

Sadly I know what is in the future.
We just try to enjoy all the moments between now and then.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.