Beagles Unlimited Forums banner

Need help with training for when we have company

5K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Mom2Beagles 
#1 ·
Hi everyone! My name is Samantha and my husband and I purchased a beagle, whom we named droopy, almost 2 years ago when we found out we were pregnant. Our daughter is now 11 months old and loves him to death :) he is so good with her. He is a very loving dog. However, when we have company over for get togethers. He goes crazy. He's not aggressive he just wants to be with us but it's just not possible when we have a bunch of people over. So he howls and yelps and cries and barks. We don't know how to help him to calm down. We are thinking of crate training him so when we have people over we can just put him in there. Has anyone experienced this? If so, how did you fix it? Any advice will be helpful :) thank you in advance for your help!

#2 ·
Does he ever calm down when the company gets into the house or is he just nuts the whole time? My three go crazy when the guests come - barking, trying to jump etc. I gate them in the kitchen until the guests are in the house and get situated then I let them say hello. Beagles are pack animals and want to be with the group. I don't use crates, I use baby gates. Does he get a walk before your guests come over? You can work on having him sit on a leash and rewarding him. I have considered having a trainer come to my house to help me learn to get them under control when company comes over.

This site has some really good training tips, you might find some ideas here:
http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/virtual-pet-behaviorist/dog-behavior/teaching-your-dog-not-jump-people

#3 ·
He howls off and on the entire time they're here. We leave him outside because he tries to still their food and just a bit annoying for out guests. Even if we used a gate to keep him in the kitchen he'll howl because he wants to be with us. We just really want to find a way to keep him quite while we have guests over. We can try the gate again. Thank you for the advice :) I'll definitely check everything else out on here :)

#4 ·
Yep, he definitely wants to be with everyone. Maybe you can work on leash training so he sits by your side. The food stealing is annoying, I work hard to keep mine from begging/stealing. They aren't fed people food and are never fed from the table or from snacks we are having in the living room. They get treats by their treat jar in the kitchen or in their bowls.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.