rcs

Thread: rcs

rcs

took 3 nice bunnies today, crockpot steaming

where do u hunt i'm in east tx lots of rabbits but also lots of deer do u have a problem with your dogs running deer

how can u keep the dogs from running deer if u are running rabbits???

4. Remove Advertisements
    BeaglesUnlimited.com
    Advertisements

runningdeer

Quote Originally Posted by jumping joe View Post
    how can u keep the dogs from running deer if u are running rabbits???
    had same problem, put mine(2) in a barrel and rolled them down a hill with deer hide inside. thought that was crazy but did it anyway. when that did'nt work bought trashbreaker collars for 500 bucks. good luck, if there on deer all the time you can't stop em very easy.

I tried rolling in the barrel didnt work either I just bought some deer break and put on scent drag I drug it around put shock collar on him let him go right were drug scent he smelled it then started looking around then left it I was told he is sight hunting the deer and that is the hardest to break them from but im going to try my best

Question gods on deer

This is new to me so when I get to that point I see what the dogs do and go from there we have deer eating the same as the rabbits eat, in deep snow and sedar swamps hard too keep apart with all the deep snow
    Last edited by jumping joe; 01-29-2011 at 10:40 PM. Reason: dogs on deer

Dogs on deer

Quote Originally Posted by shannonp View Post
    I tried rolling in the barrel didnt work either I just bought some deer break and put on scent drag I drug it around put shock collar on him let him go right were drug scent he smelled it then started looking around then left it I was told he is sight hunting the deer and that is the hardest to break them from but im going to try my best
    when my dogs were running deer,i still hunted with them,but tracking them down time after time became a pain. one time they went 7 miles after deer. a guy called me and said they were under his porch. 2 days went by,thought they were gone forever. thats when i got the tritronics. they snapped right out of chasing deer the second time out. so if you want to save yourself the time and trouble,good collars are my suggestion. good luck and keep posting, let me know your progress.

I second RCS's suggestion on the E-collars. IMO, its the only way to break them from running trash. You need to be able to either see them running the deer in order to correct them right away or set them up by taking them out and intentionally putting them on deer. Let them follow the scent or see them run the deer for about 20 yards, yell, "NO!" and give them a strong correction. It should only take once or twice for them to come running back to you as soon as they smell deer.
    Cathy
    Vixen's Covert Beagles
    Purcellville, VA

Quote Originally Posted by shannonp View Post
    how have u been doing with you deer situation,shannonp. hunting here in western new york has been absolutely terrible. snow is way to deep and i am upset. worst i can remember. gonna try as were getting a 2 day warmup,maybe some will melt down and refreeze. let me know if you get this Rick