COCCIDIA Please help for dosing of your remedy - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: COCCIDIA Please help for dosing of your remedy

Hi there,
    With your help, I feel that we are on our way to Coccidia free kennels! I've mixed, measure and cleaned. However, I have a question about the suggestion to rinse the dogs w/ the Quaternary cleanser. Can you provide a ratio of water:cleanser or can it be used as is? Please provide reassurance that it is safe for the dogs - just seems strange but I'm up for it if you provide some guidelines.
    Thanks so much.

Quote Originally Posted by HillCountryD View Post
    Hi there,
    With your help, I feel that we are on our way to Coccidia free kennels! I've mixed, measure and cleaned. However, I have a question about the suggestion to rinse the dogs w/ the Quaternary cleanser. Can you provide a ratio of water:cleanser or can it be used as is? Please provide reassurance that it is safe for the dogs - just seems strange but I'm up for it if you provide some guidelines.
    Thanks so much.
    HillCountryD ,

I have never used any mixture of bleach or quaternary amonia on a dog for any reason..............................

If you have thoroughly cleaned your kennels and washed your dog you have done well. The only thing extra you may want to consider is to clip the fur on the dogs' rear that may get feces stuck in fur around that area.

Clear grass area of feces and over time the sun will take care of the rest. Sounds to me like you have done a good job.

The ratio for Sanitizing the kennel area with bleach is 8 oz bleach to 1 gal water and let stand wet with mixture for at least 30 min.

Best , oldhounddog

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

I have a rescue for small dogs. I have 13 here right now, weighing between 5-10 pounds. Could you tell me how to dose them with the sulfadimethoxine? Should I add it to their water, food, or use a pipette? Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by lollidaiq View Post
    I have a rescue for small dogs. I have 13 here right now, weighing between 5-10 pounds. Could you tell me how to dose them with the sulfadimethoxine? Should I add it to their water, food, or use a pipette? Thank you.
    Hi lollidaiq,

Sulfadimethoxine 12.5% solution contains 3.75 grams per ounce. This is 3750 mg. per ounce , one ounce= 30 ml , so one ml. of the Sulfadimethoxine 12.5% contains 125mg of the sulfa med.

Dosing: Initial Dose: 25 mg/lb (55 mg/kg) of animal body weight. Subsequent Daily Doses: 12.5 mg/lb (27.5 mg/kg) of animal body weight. ( 10 days )

I like to give meds in dogs food bowl with a little beef broth or soup in bottom to insure a licked clean bowl. Of course , dogs must be separated at feeding to make sure dose is consumed.

You can also give orally with dosing syringe.

If I left anything out please post back.
    Best , oldhounddog

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Thank you for the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by lollidaiq View Post
    Thank you for the answer.
    You are welcome , and , BTW we are glad you joined our forum. When you have time please look around as there is a lot of helpful information on this forum as well as threads where we cover all types of interesting topics posted by forum members.

Please feel free to start a new thread anytime you have questions?

Best , oldhounddog

Safe for pregnant bitches?

I have been using your mixture for a couple years now and it seems to be working great for my puppies. I have a current outbreak and want to dose all 9 of my older dogs as well as the 11 puppies since they all run together. Two of my bitches are bred with one due in about 9 days and the other due in about 24 days. I recall in the past when getting regular Albon from my vet that she told me I had to wait until a bitch whelped to dose her. Does the same hold true for your mixture?

Quote Originally Posted by krobison06 View Post
    I have been using your mixture for a couple years now and it seems to be working great for my puppies. I have a current outbreak and want to dose all 9 of my older dogs as well as the 11 puppies since they all run together. Two of my bitches are bred with one due in about 9 days and the other due in about 24 days. I recall in the past when getting regular Albon from my vet that she told me I had to wait until a bitch whelped to dose her. Does the same hold true for your mixture?
    krobison06 ,

Your Vet gave you good advice....Do not use Albon or any sulfa drugs on pregnant bitch...... I would treat mom and pups after whelping and would treat all others asap. Sounds like you are doing a good job. I would also pay close attention to new pups , make sure all are feeding and none get dehydrated as this is the big risk to new puppies.

Good Luck......

oldhounddog

I breed shih Tzu which are around 10 lbs and under. I've been giving them all sulfadimethox in their drinking bowls. In a 96 oz bowl I have been putting approx. 3 tablespoons of di-methox 12.5% solution. Is this correct? For the puppies I use two teaspoons in their 32oz drinking bottles. They share these watering bowls. I am using it for URI (not diagnosed) and diarrhea. Some pups have snorting and others have diarrhea while an adult has chronic bronchitis-type symptoms. I also have Neomycin Sulfate... should I be using this instead?

Quote Originally Posted by TinyGem View Post
    I breed shih Tzu which are around 10 lbs and under. I've been giving them all sulfadimethox in their drinking bowls. In a 96 oz bowl I have been putting approx. 3 tablespoons of di-methox 12.5% solution. Is this correct? For the puppies I use two teaspoons in their 32oz drinking bottles. They share these watering bowls. I am using it for URI (not diagnosed) and diarrhea. Some pups have snorting and others have diarrhea while an adult has chronic bronchitis-type symptoms. I also have Neomycin Sulfate... should I be using this instead?
    Any type of chronic bronchitis symptoms in dogs needs Vet attention as fast as possible .

Oldhounddog