Beagles Unlimited Forums banner

COCCIDIA Please help for dosing of your remedy

85K views 36 replies 15 participants last post by  soos53 
#1 ·
I read the article and have ordered from Lambervet supply. What I am unclear about is how to dose puppies. What I got from the vet instructs only 2.5 ml for the 1st day and then 1.3 there after. Is what he gave me also 5%? If my puppies weigh 5 pounds then this would agree with your 5 ml. per 10 pounds. I am giving half that for half the weight. Yey.

So I have only 6 dogs in my family. The babies are infected so far. I presume I should dose them all? Wishi I could buy less than a gallon of the sulpha stuff. But hey, it is so inexpensive compared.

How can I KNOW that I have cleared it up without continous tests of feces? HOw often should I keep treating dogs that are not symptomatic?

LASTLY, but MOST IMPORTANT: I am worried about my babies that after 3 days of treatment , also acting normal have nearly pee for poop. I can give fluids under the skin if I need to. But nothing dietary is firming up stools. Am I being impatient? How long will this take? One pup after 3 days just got runnier poo when he has hard ones only yesterday.

I am scared!

Thanks
Marika
www.naturaldogcare.org

See less See more
#2 ·
Vet prolly gave you 5% Albon, you should confirm this. Sulfadimethoxine 12.5% solution contains 3.75 grams per ounce. This is 3750 mg. per ounce , one ounce= 30 ml , so one ml. of the Sulfadimethoxine 12.5% contains 125mg of the sulfa med. Watch out for dehydration and seek vet help if needed. I would not try fluids under the skin myself. Treat 7 to 10 days and see if things clear up. Stay calm, these are just puppies. I have treated all dogs through the drinking water. A bad case could take 3 to 4 wks to clear. You will know cocci is being killed as symptoms clear up,I always treat another 3 or 4 days. If more info is needed post again or pm me.

Good Luck , oldhounddog

#3 ·
I tried to order sulfadimethoxine from Lambert Vet supply and they do not sell it any longer. They now sell sulfamethoxine and said it was the same as sulfadimethoxine. Is that true?
I know I posted this under 'Reply', but I am new and don't yet know how to post. Could use advise on that too.

Donzie

#4 · (Edited)
Donzie57,

Lambert Vet Supply should have sulfadimethoxine. When at the LVS web page just put the name of the product into the LVS quick search box ie: sulfadimethoxine , Di-methox or Sulfadimethox should take you to a page with that product. I checked it works............ This is generic Albon and if Lambert is out of stock you can check with Jeffers pet supply or Revival animal health. If you still have trouble call them on the phone.

>They now sell sulfamethoxine and said it was the same as sulfadimethoxine. Is that true? < Not true , they are not the same drug .............

Hope this helps , oldhounddog

#5 ·
Hello I read the article on using the coccidia treatment from lvs and was wondering...once you mix the generic albon and the calorie supplement how long is the mixture good for? Does it expire? The price os great but if the solution makes 2 gallons Im not sure it would be economical for usage in my kennel because we have a very small operation that only produce 2-3 litters per year. If you have timetable for quality that would be great thanks!

#6 · (Edited)
colenickel ,

It is mixed as needed for short term. Just because you have a gallon of sulfadimethoxine does not mean you need to mix the entire gallon.
In fact it is possible to dose without mixing with anything if you do not need the Dyne.

If I was going to make a batch of mixed product ( sulfadimethoxine&Dyne) for puppies/dogs I would mix up only what I would use for approximately 3 days and then make another batch as needed as it is very easy to mix. Refrigerate after mixing and shake before use. If you have any mixed product left over after all puppies are well I would just throw away.

Expiration date for sulfadimethoxine and Dyne are printed on container.

If you could give me a little more information about your needs I will try to answer any question you have.

Best , oldhounddog

#9 ·
For chickens it is a .05% concentration it says contents of package into 50 gallons of water for turkeys it is a .025% concentration it says contents of packafe into 100 gallons of water. ...also each oacket contain 3.34 oz sulfadimethoxine in the form of the soluble sodiun salt and disodium edetate yes it is for coccidia it is for a 10 lb puppy and a 30 lb adult ...also on a side note I got safeguard dewormer at tractor supply company it was not refrigerated and it did not say on the package to refrigerate after opening it was open for one week with no refrigeration in room temprature I now have it in the fridge should I bbe concerned or will it be fine because I noticed u said it could last three years refrigerated

#10 · (Edited)
houndhunt ,

First off , how long something like a drug or mixed solution will last is determined by many factors. Contamination , cross contamination and bacteria can all be a factor with meds. The mfg may say a product will last up to 3 years , however , this would be an example of unopened product stored under perfect conditions.

When we talk about meds for our dogs , especially mixed solutions and product after opening , we are dealing with considerably shorter storage life.
Always keep this in mind because it is important to buy in a quanity that can be used in a reasonable time and should be discarded after that time.
The goal is good healthcare for our pets. I buy SafeGuard in the 1000 ml bottle as this is used up fairly quick with my 10 hounds.

This is how I would use the Sulfamed G....................

If I understand you correctly, packet contains 3.34 oz (94.6 g) Sulfadimethoxine (active ingredient) in the form of the soluble sodium salt and disodium edetate.

We need to make this into a solution so you can dose accurately.

94.6g of Sulfamed G divided by 32 = 2.956g or 2956mg per ounce when dissolved in a quart of water. One ounce = 30 ml. So , 2956 divided by 30 = 98.5mg of sulfadimethoxine (active ingredient) per ml. of mixed solution.

You will need a quart container , I use a mason jar w/lid that I can clean well. A clean (new) dosing syringe , your local drug store will prolly give you one. One gallon of distilled water.

Measure 32 ounces of clean water into this container and mark the water line with a magic marker. Pour water out and make sure jar and lid are clean and dry.

Empty the contents of the entire packet of Sulfamed G (96.4g) into jar , add water to 32 ounce line , replace lid and shake well to mix. Now you have 96.4g of sulfadimethoxine suspended in 32 ounces of distilled water. This solution = 98.5mg sulfadimethoxine per ml.

Dosing: by weight (25 mg/lb or 55 mg/kg) as an initial dose, followed by (12.5 mg/lb or 27.5 mg/kg) every 24 hours thereafter. I recommend you give this treatment for a total of 10 days.

So , to dose the 10 pound dog: first day give 2.5ml solution (250mg sulfadimethoxine) , second day give 1.25ml solution (125mg sulfadimethoxine) and continue with this dose through day 10.

I give this over a food source that your dogs likes so all med will be consumed. Feed dogs separately so as to make sure dosing is correct per dog.

I hope this helps. If I left anything out post back.

Best , oldhounddog

#11 ·
Hi there,
With your help, I feel that we are on our way to Coccidia free kennels! I've mixed, measure and cleaned. However, I have a question about the suggestion to rinse the dogs w/ the Quaternary cleanser. Can you provide a ratio of water:cleanser or can it be used as is? Please provide reassurance that it is safe for the dogs - just seems strange but I'm up for it if you provide some guidelines.
Thanks so much.

#12 ·
HillCountryD ,

I have never used any mixture of bleach or quaternary amonia on a dog for any reason..............................

If you have thoroughly cleaned your kennels and washed your dog you have done well. The only thing extra you may want to consider is to clip the fur on the dogs' rear that may get feces stuck in fur around that area.

Clear grass area of feces and over time the sun will take care of the rest. Sounds to me like you have done a good job.

The ratio for Sanitizing the kennel area with bleach is 8 oz bleach to 1 gal water and let stand wet with mixture for at least 30 min.

Best , oldhounddog

#14 ·
Hi lollidaiq,

Sulfadimethoxine 12.5% solution contains 3.75 grams per ounce. This is 3750 mg. per ounce , one ounce= 30 ml , so one ml. of the Sulfadimethoxine 12.5% contains 125mg of the sulfa med.

Dosing: Initial Dose: 25 mg/lb (55 mg/kg) of animal body weight. Subsequent Daily Doses: 12.5 mg/lb (27.5 mg/kg) of animal body weight. ( 10 days )

I like to give meds in dogs food bowl with a little beef broth or soup in bottom to insure a licked clean bowl. Of course , dogs must be separated at feeding to make sure dose is consumed.

You can also give orally with dosing syringe.

If I left anything out please post back.
Best , oldhounddog

#16 ·
You are welcome , and , BTW we are glad you joined our forum. When you have time please look around as there is a lot of helpful information on this forum as well as threads where we cover all types of interesting topics posted by forum members.

Please feel free to start a new thread anytime you have questions?

Best , oldhounddog

#17 ·
Safe for pregnant bitches?

I have been using your mixture for a couple years now and it seems to be working great for my puppies. I have a current outbreak and want to dose all 9 of my older dogs as well as the 11 puppies since they all run together. Two of my bitches are bred with one due in about 9 days and the other due in about 24 days. I recall in the past when getting regular Albon from my vet that she told me I had to wait until a bitch whelped to dose her. Does the same hold true for your mixture?

#18 ·
I have been using your mixture for a couple years now and it seems to be working great for my puppies. I have a current outbreak and want to dose all 9 of my older dogs as well as the 11 puppies since they all run together. Two of my bitches are bred with one due in about 9 days and the other due in about 24 days. I recall in the past when getting regular Albon from my vet that she told me I had to wait until a bitch whelped to dose her. Does the same hold true for your mixture?
krobison06 ,

Your Vet gave you good advice....Do not use Albon or any sulfa drugs on pregnant bitch...... I would treat mom and pups after whelping and would treat all others asap. Sounds like you are doing a good job. I would also pay close attention to new pups , make sure all are feeding and none get dehydrated as this is the big risk to new puppies.

Good Luck......

oldhounddog

#19 ·
I breed shih Tzu which are around 10 lbs and under. I've been giving them all sulfadimethox in their drinking bowls. In a 96 oz bowl I have been putting approx. 3 tablespoons of di-methox 12.5% solution. Is this correct? For the puppies I use two teaspoons in their 32oz drinking bottles. They share these watering bowls. I am using it for URI (not diagnosed) and diarrhea. Some pups have snorting and others have diarrhea while an adult has chronic bronchitis-type symptoms. I also have Neomycin Sulfate... should I be using this instead?

#21 · (Edited)
Hello Everyone,

I have a question about the dosage for eight - 5lb standard size 7wk old puppies using Sulfadimethoxine 12.5% liquid. I have a gallon of it. I also have a gallon of the Dyne but do not need a huge bottle of this mixture. Just enough to treat 8 puppies. My Vet said I don't need to mix it with the Dyne I can just give it to them straight and then maybe give them 1ml of the Dyne afterwards to help wash it down because it is really yucky.
I have already treated them for Giardia using Safeguard for 6 days. Symptoms are still present. Loose stools. Still eating and drinking normally. Still active and playful but they go home soon and do not want to send home puppies with loose stools.

I wanted to try the Sulfadimethoxine to see if it will clear this up. I have also tried using a probiotic Fortiflora in their food as well as pumpkin and 1ml doses of Kaolin Pectin..not all 3 at once but nothing has seemed to make a huge difference in their stool consistency.

This is not the first time I have had loose stools in my puppies but this is the first time in a long time and the fact I can't get rid of it is frustrating.

Can you give me the dosage for just giving them the sulfa straight in ML measurements?
I would be forever grateful and any other advice you might have.

Thank you,
Barbara

P.S. Stool sample came back clear. Vet gave me the dosage for 2lb puppies, I need the right dosage and do not want to have to call her. She has MS so her hours are only 2 days a week. I don't have time to wait.

#23 ·
Sulfadimethoxine 12.5% solution contains 3.75 grams per ounce. This is 3750 mg. per ounce , one ounce= 30 ml , so one ml. of the Sulfadimethoxine 12.5% contains 125mg of the sulfa med.

Dosing: Initial Dose: 25 mg/lb (55 mg/kg) of animal body weight. Subsequent Daily Doses: 12.5 mg/lb (27.5 mg/kg) of animal body weight. ( 10 days )

Dose for 5# dog = 1 ml.(sulfadimethoxine 12.5%) for first day. Second day thru last day .5 ml. (1/2 ml.)
(sulfadimethoxine 12.5%) .

Best , oldhounddog

#25 ·
Coccidia Help

Hi I need some help I just got an American Bulldog pup (female) I'm pretty sure she has coccidia I went and bought Neomycin Sulfate but don't know how much dosage to give her, the bottle states the following Each ml contains 200 mg of neomycin sulfate equivalent to 140 mg of neomycin base. Can anyone please give me some guidance. She weighs about 45-50 pounds.

#26 ·
Husband found 3 abandoned puppies on the side of the road right in time...It was suppose to freeze that night! Needless to say, they have made themselves home in my bathroom and are much happier now that they have my love and support. I have read previous posts about treating for coccidia. I still need help! These pups are weighing at about 5 lbs. However, I was interested in buying/trying the sulfadimethoxine soluble powder:

(5 packets are equivalent to 1 gallon of Di-Methox 12.5% solution.)
Each Packet Contains: 3.34 oz (94.6 g) Sulfadimethoxine in the form of the soluble Sodium Salt and Disodium Edetate.

I too am bad with math! How do I go about mixing and dosing these three 5lb. puppies.....as well as an 11lb. adult cat?
Thank you in advance!

#28 ·
Thank you Oldhounddog! Poor pups were infested with all kinds of parasites! I have treated them with fenbendazole...and sure enough, all kinds of worms are being eliminated. Its been a little bit of a struggle but puppies are doing great...and so am I! Lol I will still be treating for coccidia asap. Once again, thank you for your swift reply. I will keep in touch. Have a great day!

#34 ·
Hi there, I have been a breeder of purebred dogs for years and have never ever had Coccidia but I recently relocated my kennel and somehow now have Coccidia in my pups and in my adults dogs. I have just finished building the new kennel and none of the dogs has set foot in the new kennel or new dog runs. I have set up isolation/treatment pens to try to get rid of this before moving anyone into the new kennel.

I have the sulfadimethoxine and the Dyne High Density. I have 14 adult Irish Wolfhounds to treat. I have read the dose for the sulfa but what is the mix for the dyne product to go with it?

I plan to isolate the dogs for 30 days to ensure treatment is done thoroughly. 1) treat with the sulph/dyne solution 2) keep the dogs in isolation pen with concrete floors so that they can be pressure washed/amonia treated daily (move dogs to holding pen to do this). 3) Bath dogs and foot soak before moving into new kennel. Is there anything else I should do??

My newly built outdoor exercise pens are 60x40' and all dirt forest floor in them and have now had infected dogs in them :( Is there anything I can do to treat such a large area to use again in the spring? I have a large propane tiger torch that I've been told I can scorch the ground all over with. Any suggestions how to treat such a large area or how long before it would ever be usable again?

#36 · (Edited)
I have read the dose for the sulfa but what is the mix for the dyne product
Here is the explanation taken from the original article:
Mix 5 ounces of Dyne High Calorie Supplement with 4 ounces of the Sulfadimethoxine 12 1/2% solution discussed above. This gives me a fairly palatable mixture of the 5% Albon (Rx). Once you have this 5% Albon solution mix, each teaspoonful (5 mL) will contain 250 mg of Sulfadimethoxine. Beagles should receive 1 teaspoonful of this 5% Albon Oral Suspension mixture per 10 lb of body weight (25 mg/lb or 55 mg/kg) as an initial dose, followed by ½ teaspoonful per 10 lb of body weight (12.5 mg/lb or 27.5 mg/kg) every 24 hours thereafter. I recommend you give this treatment for a total of 10 days. The medication may be administered in food or water, given as a drench orally. I give each dog its own food and medicine in its own feed dish to make sure each dog is getting the proper amount of food and medicine or at least use it as a drench to be given orally to each dog/puppy.
http://www.beaglesunlimited.com/health/coccidiosis-diagnosis-treatment-and-prevention

#35 · (Edited)
Hello Julie,
Not sure if you've also read the original article on the treatment but here is the link:
http://www.beaglesunlimited.com/health/coccidiosis-diagnosis-treatment-and-prevention but it may be helpful as well.

The following are recommendations for eliminating coccidia from kennels and homes (Quoted from the original article):

:black_small_square:treat all dogs with sulfadimethoxine for 10 days
:black_small_square: disinfect kennel areas, etc, with quaternary ammonium disinfectants which are effective in inactivating coccidia oocysts
:black_small_square: bathe dogs with shampoo to remove all fecal matter, rinse with water
:black_small_square: rinse dogs with quaternary ammonium disinfectants, then water
:black_small_square: Allow kennels to dry thoroughly for several days
:black_small_square: Retreat with sulfadimethoxine for 7 days
:black_small_square: Treat any new dogs with sulfadimethoxine (e.g. Albon) for 10 days even if they test negative for coccidia because it is so hard to detect in fecal tests

Good Luck! I Love Irish Wolfhounds!
Barbara

#37 ·
I am a little confused about using sulmet. I have a limited amount of Sulmet 12.5% drinking water solution. I have 3 9-week old puppies who need to be treated for coccidia. Can I use Sulmet as a push in a syringe straight from the bottle or does it have to be cut with Dyne? If not necessary to cut, what dosages should I use. The pups are about 10 lbs. each

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.