COCCIDIA Please help for dosing of your remedy - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: COCCIDIA Please help for dosing of your remedy

Hello Everyone,

I have a question about the dosage for eight - 5lb standard size 7wk old puppies using Sulfadimethoxine 12.5% liquid. I have a gallon of it. I also have a gallon of the Dyne but do not need a huge bottle of this mixture. Just enough to treat 8 puppies. My Vet said I don't need to mix it with the Dyne I can just give it to them straight and then maybe give them 1ml of the Dyne afterwards to help wash it down because it is really yucky.
    I have already treated them for Giardia using Safeguard for 6 days. Symptoms are still present. Loose stools. Still eating and drinking normally. Still active and playful but they go home soon and do not want to send home puppies with loose stools.

I wanted to try the Sulfadimethoxine to see if it will clear this up. I have also tried using a probiotic Fortiflora in their food as well as pumpkin and 1ml doses of Kaolin Pectin..not all 3 at once but nothing has seemed to make a huge difference in their stool consistency.

This is not the first time I have had loose stools in my puppies but this is the first time in a long time and the fact I can't get rid of it is frustrating.

Can you give me the dosage for just giving them the sulfa straight in ML measurements?
    I would be forever grateful and any other advice you might have.

Thank you,
    Barbara

P.S. Stool sample came back clear. Vet gave me the dosage for 2lb puppies, I need the right dosage and do not want to have to call her. She has MS so her hours are only 2 days a week. I don't have time to wait.
    Last edited by ibdreamy; 10-29-2014 at 05:48 AM. Reason: added a ps

I dreamy ,
    Please read post number 14 about dosing the sulfadimethox. 1 kg. equals 2.2 pounds of dog weight.
    This should give you info to dose your small dog for first dose and follow up dosing the next 7 to 10 days.
    Post back if more info is needed.

Best , oldhounddog

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Quote Originally Posted by ibdreamy View Post
    Hello Everyone,

I have a question about the dosage for eight - 5lb standard size 7wk old puppies using Sulfadimethoxine 12.5% liquid. I have a gallon of it. I also have a gallon of the Dyne but do not need a huge bottle of this mixture. Just enough to treat 8 puppies. My Vet said I don't need to mix it with the Dyne I can just give it to them straight and then maybe give them 1ml of the Dyne afterwards to help wash it down because it is really yucky.
    I have already treated them for Giardia using Safeguard for 6 days. Symptoms are still present. Loose stools. Still eating and drinking normally. Still active and playful but they go home soon and do not want to send home puppies with loose stools.

I wanted to try the Sulfadimethoxine to see if it will clear this up. I have also tried using a probiotic Fortiflora in their food as well as pumpkin and 1ml doses of Kaolin Pectin..not all 3 at once but nothing has seemed to make a huge difference in their stool consistency.

This is not the first time I have had loose stools in my puppies but this is the first time in a long time and the fact I can't get rid of it is frustrating.

Can you give me the dosage for just giving them the sulfa straight in ML measurements?
    I would be forever grateful and any other advice you might have.

Thank you,
    Barbara

P.S. Stool sample came back clear. Vet gave me the dosage for 2lb puppies, I need the right dosage and do not want to have to call her. She has MS so her hours are only 2 days a week. I don't have time to wait.
    Sulfadimethoxine 12.5% solution contains 3.75 grams per ounce. This is 3750 mg. per ounce , one ounce= 30 ml , so one ml. of the Sulfadimethoxine 12.5% contains 125mg of the sulfa med.

Dosing: Initial Dose: 25 mg/lb (55 mg/kg) of animal body weight. Subsequent Daily Doses: 12.5 mg/lb (27.5 mg/kg) of animal body weight. ( 10 days )

Dose for 5# dog = 1 ml.(sulfadimethoxine 12.5%) for first day. Second day thru last day .5 ml. (1/2 ml.)
    (sulfadimethoxine 12.5%) .

Best , oldhounddog

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by oldhounddog View Post
    Sulfadimethoxine 12.5% solution contains 3.75 grams per ounce. This is 3750 mg. per ounce , one ounce= 30 ml , so one ml. of the Sulfadimethoxine 12.5% contains 125mg of the sulfa med.

Dosing: Initial Dose: 25 mg/lb (55 mg/kg) of animal body weight. Subsequent Daily Doses: 12.5 mg/lb (27.5 mg/kg) of animal body weight. ( 10 days )

Dose for 5# dog = 1 ml.(sulfadimethoxine 12.5%) for first day. Second day thru last day .5 ml. (1/2 ml.)
    (sulfadimethoxine 12.5%) .

Best , oldhounddog
    Thank you so much!!!!! You have no idea how much this helps me and essentially my puppies and their families. I am horrible at figuring out math equations/dosages etc. I have been trying to reach my vet all week. I will start the medicine today. They're all still eating/drinking like piggies, healthy, fat and bouncy so if it is COCCIDIA it sure does not seem to be affecting them besides the loose stools..which always worries me. If it is Giardia then the safeguard did not work. Hopefully this will make a difference.

Thank you,
    Barbara

Coccidia Help

Hi I need some help I just got an American Bulldog pup (female) I'm pretty sure she has coccidia I went and bought Neomycin Sulfate but don't know how much dosage to give her, the bottle states the following Each ml contains 200 mg of neomycin sulfate equivalent to 140 mg of neomycin base. Can anyone please give me some guidance. She weighs about 45-50 pounds.

Husband found 3 abandoned puppies on the side of the road right in time...It was suppose to freeze that night! Needless to say, they have made themselves home in my bathroom and are much happier now that they have my love and support. I have read previous posts about treating for coccidia. I still need help! These pups are weighing at about 5 lbs. However, I was interested in buying/trying the sulfadimethoxine soluble powder:

(5 packets are equivalent to 1 gallon of Di-Methox 12.5% solution.)
    Each Packet Contains: 3.34 oz (94.6 g) Sulfadimethoxine in the form of the soluble Sodium Salt and Disodium Edetate.

I too am bad with math! How do I go about mixing and dosing these three 5lb. puppies.....as well as an 11lb. adult cat?
    Thank you in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by maritzaperez_08 View Post
    Husband found 3 abandoned puppies on the side of the road right in time...It was suppose to freeze that night! Needless to say, they have made themselves home in my bathroom and are much happier now that they have my love and support. I have read previous posts about treating for coccidia. I still need help! These pups are weighing at about 5 lbs. However, I was interested in buying/trying the sulfadimethoxine soluble powder:

(5 packets are equivalent to 1 gallon of Di-Methox 12.5% solution.)
    Each Packet Contains: 3.34 oz (94.6 g) Sulfadimethoxine in the form of the soluble Sodium Salt and Disodium Edetate.

I too am bad with math! How do I go about mixing and dosing these three 5lb. puppies.....as well as an 11lb. adult cat?
    Thank you in advance!
    Maritzaperez ,

Welcome to the forum and thank you for your rescue effort.
    Please take a look at post number 10 and see if that will help
    There are many consideration for new rescue pups. If you need more info please post back and I will try to help you.

Oldhounddog

Thank you Oldhounddog! Poor pups were infested with all kinds of parasites! I have treated them with fenbendazole...and sure enough, all kinds of worms are being eliminated. Its been a little bit of a struggle but puppies are doing great...and so am I! Lol I will still be treating for coccidia asap. Once again, thank you for your swift reply. I will keep in touch. Have a great day!

So I just read over the internet that Fenbendazole can also treat coccidia....? Instead of a 3 day treatment, its a 5 day treatment! Hmmmm....

Quote Originally Posted by maritzaperez_08 View Post
    So I just read over the internet that Fenbendazole can also treat coccidia....? Instead of a 3 day treatment, its a 5 day treatment! Hmmmm....
    Don't believe everything you read on the internet.... as far as I know that is false info but Fenbendazole CAN treat Giardia, and its a 5 day treatment