COCCIDIA Please help for dosing of your remedy - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: COCCIDIA Please help for dosing of your remedy

ibdreamy,

I am very much aware of that, but thank you for pointing that out! Doing your homework/research is the only way to go!

I was confused.. nevermind.
    Last edited by ibdreamy; 09-21-2016 at 01:28 PM.

so nobody has any Gallons of liquid Sulfadimethoxine. a 107 G powder is available that contains 94.6 G of Sulfadimethoxine. Can you help me figure out how to mix this for dog use? I have 2 litter coming soon and want to be ready.

4. Remove Advertisements
    BeaglesUnlimited.com
    Advertisements

Hi there, I have been a breeder of purebred dogs for years and have never ever had Coccidia but I recently relocated my kennel and somehow now have Coccidia in my pups and in my adults dogs. I have just finished building the new kennel and none of the dogs has set foot in the new kennel or new dog runs. I have set up isolation/treatment pens to try to get rid of this before moving anyone into the new kennel.

I have the sulfadimethoxine and the Dyne High Density. I have 14 adult Irish Wolfhounds to treat. I have read the dose for the sulfa but what is the mix for the dyne product to go with it?

I plan to isolate the dogs for 30 days to ensure treatment is done thoroughly. 1) treat with the sulph/dyne solution 2) keep the dogs in isolation pen with concrete floors so that they can be pressure washed/amonia treated daily (move dogs to holding pen to do this). 3) Bath dogs and foot soak before moving into new kennel. Is there anything else I should do??

My newly built outdoor exercise pens are 60x40' and all dirt forest floor in them and have now had infected dogs in them Is there anything I can do to treat such a large area to use again in the spring? I have a large propane tiger torch that I've been told I can scorch the ground all over with. Any suggestions how to treat such a large area or how long before it would ever be usable again?

Hello Julie,
    Not sure if you've also read the original article on the treatment but here is the link:
    https://www.beaglesunlimited.com/heal...and-prevention but it may be helpful as well.
    The following are recommendations for eliminating coccidia from kennels and homes (Quoted from the original article):

:black_small_square:treat all dogs with sulfadimethoxine for 10 days
    :black_small_square: disinfect kennel areas, etc, with quaternary ammonium disinfectants which are effective in inactivating coccidia oocysts
    :black_small_square: bathe dogs with shampoo to remove all fecal matter, rinse with water
    :black_small_square: rinse dogs with quaternary ammonium disinfectants, then water
    :black_small_square: Allow kennels to dry thoroughly for several days
    :black_small_square: Retreat with sulfadimethoxine for 7 days
    :black_small_square: Treat any new dogs with sulfadimethoxine (e.g. Albon) for 10 days even if they test negative for coccidia because it is so hard to detect in fecal tests

Good Luck! I Love Irish Wolfhounds!
    Barbara
    Last edited by ibdreamy; 09-21-2016 at 01:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by julie View Post
    I have read the dose for the sulfa but what is the mix for the dyne product
    Here is the explanation taken from the original article:
    Mix 5 ounces of Dyne High Calorie Supplement with 4 ounces of the Sulfadimethoxine 12 1/2% solution discussed above. This gives me a fairly palatable mixture of the 5% Albon (Rx). Once you have this 5% Albon solution mix, each teaspoonful (5 mL) will contain 250 mg of Sulfadimethoxine. Beagles should receive 1 teaspoonful of this 5% Albon Oral Suspension mixture per 10 lb of body weight (25 mg/lb or 55 mg/kg) as an initial dose, followed by ½ teaspoonful per 10 lb of body weight (12.5 mg/lb or 27.5 mg/kg) every 24 hours thereafter. I recommend you give this treatment for a total of 10 days. The medication may be administered in food or water, given as a drench orally. I give each dog its own food and medicine in its own feed dish to make sure each dog is getting the proper amount of food and medicine or at least use it as a drench to be given orally to each dog/puppy.
    https://www.beaglesunlimited.com/heal...and-prevention
    Last edited by ibdreamy; 09-21-2016 at 01:58 PM.

I am a little confused about using sulmet. I have a limited amount of Sulmet 12.5% drinking water solution. I have 3 9-week old puppies who need to be treated for coccidia. Can I use Sulmet as a push in a syringe straight from the bottle or does it have to be cut with Dyne? If not necessary to cut, what dosages should I use. The pups are about 10 lbs. each