Beagles Unlimited Forums banner

Starting my dogs to hunt

9K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  dawgman 
#1 ·
what would be the best way to start my dogs to track and hunt??? I'm in Upper Michigan and have alot of snow and rabbits snowshoes & cottentails..lot of swamps for hunting please help I'm new at this :eek:

#2 ·
Hi Jumping Joe.
I took Molly out today and we walked in the woods and she picked up on rabbit more then deer or anything else in the area. She loves those rascally rabbits. You can try to have your Beagle sniff a bit of fur and have it track it or let them it do what comes naturally. Good Luck in your search!

#3 ·
Thank you lots I'll see what the dogs will do and I hope things will go well, I'm sort of worried of the dogs picking up a deer and never see them again you know what I mean, But, will take that chance when I comes along we got a new 4 inches of snow need snowshoes to get around in the woods...Thanks again...JJ

#4 ·
tracking rabbits

good morning joe.

i am not a hunter at all... however i went home for x.mas and my uncle took molly out in the bush and he is a hunter and said she really loved the rabbit tracks, ignored the deer and he had never walked her before. molly loved the adventure and when they returned my uncle gave her some deer meat and wold game and she was in heaven. it's tricky as molly is 2 and had she'd been trained earlier maybe teaching her to return with a call or whistle but at this stage if i let her off her leash she will run away and so will your dog too.
good luck let me know how it works out and send me a picture of your beagle. molly's pictures are on the profile.
have a great day!
Bella & Molly

#10 ·
Good morning snowing here in Upper Michigan got around 2-4 inchs and got one rabbit saturday but yah the dogs just stayed on the rabbit trails Thanks Molly
good morning joe.

i am not a hunter at all... however i went home for x.mas and my uncle took molly out in the bush and he is a hunter and said she really loved the rabbit tracks, ignored the deer and he had never walked her before. molly loved the adventure and when they returned my uncle gave her some deer meat and wold game and she was in heaven. it's tricky as molly is 2 and had she'd been trained earlier maybe teaching her to return with a call or whistle but at this stage if i let her off her leash she will run away and so will your dog too.
good luck let me know how it works out and send me a picture of your beagle. molly's pictures are on the profile.
have a great day!
Bella & Molly

#7 · (Edited)
The age of the dog you wish to start is a basic condition. You need to make yourself a major player in Molly's hunting experience and expectations. This involves several solo trips with Molly into cover and establishing your authority in this environment before you team Molly up with an experienced dog to "learn the ropes." In any case I would suggest starting your hound on cottontails rather than white rabbits, which will take your dog well out of hearing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.