Beagles Unlimited Forums banner

Training an Adopted Beagle for Recall/Running Rabbits

4K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Alex 
#1 ·
Hey all! I was lucky enough to rescue a handsome ten month old beagle off craigslist two weeks ago. He's my first beagle, and the first dog of my own I've owned. He's already housebroken (awesome for me) with only a few accidents that boil down to me not reading the signs he was giving me. Otherwise, he's pretty stubborn and barely trained in obedience, though that's going well with a ton of treats.

I'd like to be able to take him out in the open off leash someday, and it would be great to get any advice I can on training recall. That's his weakest point in training right now, and to me, it's the most important.

Otherwise, having this guy just for two weeks has made it incredibly obvious that he needs a job. A huge part of me wants to take him out to chase some rabbits, but I have zero experience there - the only wild animals I bring home for dinner are fish. But now I have a young beagle itching to track anything he can, and a pellet gun that'll get the job done... any advice on that front?

Dog Plant Carnivore Dog breed Grass

(Here's Luke at the dog park. He was a little overweight and clearly hadn't gotten out much when I took him home, but we're working on it)

See less See more
#3 ·
You have to teach him that he wants to come to you. Beagles respond well to treats, but soon learn that any action without a treat isn't worth the trouble. A big part of getting a eagle to come to you is your bond with him. We have a 5 year old names Zeke that looked a lot like yours when we got him. Tall and skinny, but very athletic. We adopted him at about 1 year and we were his 3rd home. He had, and still does, have separation issues. By building a tight bond with him, though I have capitalized on his insecurity so that he he gets nervous when he can't locate me. When he gets out of sight and isn't on a scent he will look for me. All I have to do is whistle and he will zoom back like a lost dog. Of course when on a scent, all bets are off. Then you have to either shoot the game or intercept him on the trail and physically pull him off of it if you need to.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.