Vaccines and Vaccination Reactions
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vaccines and Vaccination Reactions

Vaccines and Vaccination Reactions

Is it normal to have a reddish bump on the site of injection of a vaccine?

My beagle had his second DHPPC vaccination last Monday and I'm quite worried about the bump. He's fine though--eating well and playing.

Yes, some animals will react to vaccines in this way. Keep an eye for tenderness, increased swelling or redness and fever. If all seems well, then it should go down on it's own over time. Sometimes, the vaccine gets into the layers of the skin as opposed to under the skin and this can leave a small bump.

I guess that's not really something to lose sleep on. Have you tried gently massaging the area and applying warm (not hot) compress? This will help dilate the vessels around the area and facilitate absorption of the vaccine. However, if it's bothering him, it's best to call your vet.

4. Remove Advertisements
    BeaglesUnlimited.com
    Advertisements

Both my beagles also had bumps the size of a quarter when they had their vaccinations. The first time, I was really worried but the vet told me it is nothing to worry about except if it's bothering the dogs. My dogs didn't seem to know it was even there.

Exactly, I would not do anything with it, unless it seems to change or cause the dog pain.

When our dog had a reaction just like that after vaccination, I had to ask the vet if that was normal, he said it was but if it will bother the dog or does not disappear after two weeks, I had to bring the dog back to the clinic. But it just disappeared in its own free will =)

I beg to differ. You DO need to pay attention and notice it. Now yes, it is a problem that happens alot. So, don't panic, and as long as it doesn't grow, it should go away within a couple of days. If not, it's time to see the vet. Also, if your dog is reacting now, they might have worse reactions in the future. I've dealt with this. In fact, with my second beagle, we had a whole special process we had to go through. Do not dismiss this bump. Again, as long as it stays just the size of a quarter or smaller and as long as it goes away in a couple of days, no worries EXCEPT note it and make sure to look for a reaction the next time the dog gets a shot. If, however, that bump grows, run, don't walk, to the vet.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Quote Originally Posted by Orrymain View Post
    If, however, that bump grows, run, don't walk, to the vet.
    I agree with you on that Orrymain. Vaccination reactions, particularly anaphylactic shock, is an extreme reaction to vaccines that can result in death.

A localized allergic reaction to a vaccination isn't unusual, but it is something to watch. If it doesn't develop into a larger cyst or become infected, it's probably nothing to worry about — especially if your dog is acting fine with no unusual symptoms, like lethargic behavior or unusual tenderness.

We live in an area infested with rattlesnakes, so our dogs have always gotten a dose of rattlesnake vaccine every spring before the snakes appear. Invariably, there's a localized reaction in the form of quarter-sized, fluid-filled sterile cyst that shows up about seven days after the injection. The reactions you described seem less significant that that, so like I said, I wouldn't be too concerned, but I'd keep a close eye on it for worsening or infection.

To help control these reactions, we've given our dogs Benadryl. The vet suggested that as a good treatment, and it seems to have done some good. You might try it as well

At the very least, if in doubt, if you aren't positive, call the vet so you can give a physical description and see what they say.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!