Beagles don't make good pets. - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Beagles don't make good pets.

I don't have the same problems at all with my Beagle and she is only 4 months old. She hardly ever barks. She is doing well with potty trainning. Walks well on a leash and is a completely awesome dog. We give her lots of love and attention. She goes almost everywhere we go. She is crate trained as well. She is part of our pack and she knows it. We reward her with love and she rewards us with good behavior, love and affection. So...For us she makes a great pet.

As a former "hobby breeder", who at one time had 11 beagles - ALL pets, I can't completely agree that "Beagles don't make good pets". One of the things I stressed when I had puppies ready for adoption, that beagles are NOT for everyone. I was 60+ when I became a 1st time beagle owner, and was very frustrated - as I'd never had a dog so difficult to "house train". That was my fault for not researching the breed before I gave in to my granddaughter's pleas for a cute little beagle girl - who soon became MY little beagle girl. Once I learned a bit about the breed, and learned to accept them for what they are and not expect them to be anything other than a beagle, I fell in love with the breed. I had to re-home 7 of my "pack" last year in preparation to moving to a city with a 4 pet limit. I have kept 4 of my girls, and thankfully Seattle Beagle Rescue helped find wonderful homes for 5 of my "furkids", and I arranged great homes for two others. They all went to families with beagle experience - and I am able to keep in touch with all of them. Every person who adopted one of my "kids" adores them. Most of those dogs were born here in my house, and knew nothing but love from the beginning of their lives. I don't recommend beagles for everyone, but they certainly CAN be good pets - I can't imagine my life without beagles in it.
    Glenda 'n the girls
    Chloe, JoJo, Lottie & Lily

Well first of all pups bark, but you can get a bark collar, and that should teach it not to bark. I live in the city and have a 6 year old beagle, and I have trained her real well. She only barks when she is being "protective" or playing. Or ocasionally when she sees a squirrel. Our neighbors even have a beagle. Their laid back and not too annoying. I do agree don't let them alone in the house thats open, although mine just likes to tear up a kleenex or two. Even though mines not allowed in our living room, she comes in and lays under my feet. (which I allow, because shes not hurting anything. Which I understand where your coming from but it may just be the dog, not the breed.

We got a beagle puppy several months ago he is 17 weeks and he is potty trained using a crate with in a week I wouldn't do it any other way. I am having issues with biting growling and possessive behavior. He isn't really bonding with the family like I was hoping he only cares about food and biting us. I have him in training classes I hope that will turn him around. If he continues with biting and barking and growling at us when we get near his toys it will be very disappointing I can understand how a person can blame the breed when you hear that Beagles are such great pets and are great with family it is very devastating when the dog you want to love could careless.

Beagles are one of the best pet dogs you can have. Unfortunately they are a little stubborn to train but you can't find a more loyal, loving dog. Perhaps they aren't for everybody but my life wouldn't be as rich without them.
    Clayton James
    Founder of FreeBeagleTraining.com

*Hug*

I feel the same way about my beagle, Nyhm. He was very hard to train, chewed everything in site and barked non-stop when we weren't home. But like you said, beagles have a way of looking at you like you hung the moon

So now I love him
    Thank you for sharing your story.
    It made me cry.

great story!

I understand your story which I think alot of people did not. Things are hard and difficult in the beginning with any animal. I have felt the frustration of training and etc. I have rescued a Beagle from the neighbors. He (Riley) ran away from his family 3 times. I took him back every time. Last time I asked them if they wanted the dog and they said not really. So he has been with my family since march and he is looking for a good home. I can't seem to find anyoe better than us. So he may stay. But it has been hard and fun and learning. My husband has gotten really attached. So I do not think. we will ever find him a better home and he will stay. So I love your story. I am so sad for your loss of hour Suzie and the new puppy Buddy. So enjoy the past memories and the future ones you will make with Buddy.

My beagle

My beagle is my buddy. He has perfect manners in the home. He wont beg unless prodded to, he waits to be invited before jumping on beds or furniture. He goes to bed with me but moves to his own bed after an hour or two. He is very trainable, a new command /action can be learned within 3-5 days as long as you train in the kitchen with it taking up to two weeks for the command to be carried out in all settings. He hunts, even though we don't. He tracks foxes and rabbits.... he finds them daily, opening up and chasing with me attached to the back of the leash. He doesn't bark in the house unless he's alerting to activity outside of the home in the night time or he is being encouraged to bark by asking him if he wants to go outside repeatedly. He's been the best dog I have ever owned and I am more bonded with him than any other animal I have ever had in my life. I don't think it's a breed issue at all, I think most people do not know how to train an animal. We just made sure to train him in ways he was interested, and we kept the sessions short and energetic. We also allow him to follow his natural instinct to hunt at least an hour or two a day... and when he opens up we praise him...tell him good job...and see how proud he becomes. I think he feels his job has been done and he has earned his place in the pack. I understand what you're saying, and it seems to me most people didn't read the post clearly. Every dog is different, even if they are the same breed, but every dog can learn, you just have to find out what interests each dog and use it to your advantage.

agreed but it's not sensible. Maybe needs some more explanation.