Beagles Unlimited Forums banner

How Often Should I Bathe My Dog?

5K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  AnnieS725 
#1 ·
Yesterday I engaged in a heated argument with my friend over how many times I should bathe my short-haired Beagle in a month. My friend was surprised to learn that I bathe my 3-year-old dog, Smokey, three to four times a month. He insisted that I was overdoing it. His suggestion was that I should only bathe him once or twice a month. I would like to hear from you. How many times should a Beagle be bathed in a month. Is there a problem in doing it several times?

#2 ·
The only downside of bathing too often that I can think of is that it would keep your dog almost too clean, and their immune system won't be exercised as much, which might increase the incidence of infections and diseases later in life. This is just extrapolating from how the immune system of human children in sterile environments behaves.

That being said, you definitely don't need to be bathing your dog every week, unless your dog is getting muddy and actively dirty every day. Once to twice a month should be enough. What's your reasoning for bathing him so frequently? And, importantly, does your dog enjoy being bathed?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.