Beagles Unlimited Forums banner

How to Beagle-Proof Your Home

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  NicholasAnderson 
#1 ·

Dog Ear Gesture Carnivore Sharing

Training

What many people love about the Beagle breed is their small size, friendly personalities, and adaptability. These little dogs are very active and playful, though they do have a tendency to become destructive if they don’t get enough attention or exercise – this is especially true for Beagle puppies. To make sure that your home survives the puppy phase, be sure to Beagle-proof it before you bring your puppy home.

What is Beagle-Proofing?

You may be familiar with the term “baby-proofing” and Beagle-proofing is very similar. Not only do you need to take precautions to ensure that your home doesn’t get destroyed by your Beagle, you also need to take certain steps to ensure your Beagle’s safety. When Beagles are very young they can be very curious and energetic – they have a tendency to get into trouble, as hard as you may try to keep them out of it. The goal of Beagle-proofing is to remove temptation in regard to potentially dangerous things your Beagle might want to chew on or play with. The more thorough you are in Beagle-proofing your home before you get your Beagle puppy, the smoother the puppy phase will be for you both.

Tips for Beagle-Proofing Your Home

If you have never had a puppy before you might not know where to start with Beagle-proofing. It may help to walk around your home trying to see things through your Beagle’s eyes – what objects look like good things to chew on? What things might cause a choking hazard or the potential for other harm? Are there any areas that your Beagle might be able to sneak into where you don’t want him to be? To give you a better idea what kind of steps are involved in Beagle-proofing, consider this list:

• Store your dog food and treats in air-tight containers to keep them from going bad – this will also prevent your dog from getting into them and eating so much he gets a tummy-ache.
  • Keep all of your cleaning products and household chemicals stored under the sink or in the pantry where your dog can’t reach them.
  • Try to limit the use of scented soaps and other toiletries that your Beagle might be tempted by – or keep them out of reach.
  • Store all over-the-counter and prescription medications in the closet or medicine cabinet – even things that seem harmless like ibuprofen!
  • Do not leave any human food out on the counters or kitchen table – certain foods like grapes, chocolate, coffee, and sugar can be very bad for dogs.
  • Tie up your electric cables and blind cords – cover your outlets with plastic covers when they are not in use.
  • Keep all of your ornamental houseplants well out of your dog’s reach – some of them can be toxic if ingested.
  • Pick up any small objects or toys that may be on the floor and try to keep your home clean and organized – you don’t want your Beagle to choke on something he finds on the floor.
  • Keep the toilet lid down and don’t leave water in the tub – Beagle puppies can drown in even a small amount of water.

As hard as you may try, you will not be able to completely stop your Beagle from getting into trouble. The best thing you can do is to prevent him from accessing the things that could be harmful to him and to keep a close eye on him to make sure he doesn’t get hurt.

Photo credit: mandygodbehear/Bigstock

~Petguide.com

See less See more
#2 ·
Thanks for sharing. It wasn't excellent if that happened. I didn't know what to do. Now I would know exactly what to do. I decided to tell my mom about it, but when I told my mom about it, my dad was in the same room as us, and he jumped up and said he knew what to do himself. But it didn't work, and that's when I decided to contact the service. I got these guys airconservicingsingingapore.com, and they did everything for me very quickly and, most importantly, efficiently. But for myself, I think it is also worth knowing what to do in this situation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.