Beagles Unlimited Forums banner

Do all beagles wander off and need to be leashed?

9K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  sr41056 
#1 ·
I should have researched beagles before I bought one! After buying Charlee (5 month old beagle) I starting reading up on the breed. I've been reading that Beagles bark/bay/howl a lot and they will wander because of their nose. I have had the exact opposite experience so far with Charlee. Maybe it's because he is still young, but he rarely barks and he never leaves my side. I would like to hear other people's experiences with their own beagles. Thanks for your feedback!

Mel

#2 ·
Mel, for a first beag you are lucky! Many beags "get lost" on a scent & become deaf to commands! An "apha male" like my last one can be a real challenge! A shy one like Jethro is easier to train as I have learned. Jethro
was a very shy pup when I purchased him as he was also the last one/ "runt of the litter"! Goober, my first puppy was an "alpha dog" that "chose me" when I met his litter as he trotted up to me before all the other pups.
The owners said, "oh, you must have been pre-trained by a beagle"! (A shy one will be less stubborn & easier to train than a "headstrong" one). Goober was a much more destructive (to property) challenge than Jethro was,
I loved the end result of his training & the fact that Goober still holds our record as the longest living one @ nearly 16.5 yrs! (He might have lived even longer if he had not been "such a dynamo")! (He did outlive his teeth &
refused to use the doggie stairs I purchased for him to get on by bed)! In comparison, Jethro is much calmer & quieter & uses the doggie steps to get on & off my bed!:)

#3 ·
Well if you teach it while it's young, you should be ok. But, it is most beagles, because of their hunting instincts, when they get a smell they will wonder off and not even hear you calling, or not even care. So, when it gets older i would keep it leashed unless your in a safe area, but if it still stays by your side, you have one nice dog!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.