Beagles Unlimited Forums banner

Training pups

3K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  RichNes 
#1 ·
Lots of tips on starting young gundog beagles, but I would like more input as i am new to the group. I have hunting beagles that do well in the field. I have 6 young dogs that haven't been started yet. I don't have access to a starting pen but have a hunting area that has lots of rabbits. But is rough...lots of blackberries, briars, vines, etc. I need tips on getting these pups to start a line. I have used tame rabbits in cages, and had some in the field. One of the 6 has now started getting excited (tail wagging, snorting and even sqeaking as he starts the line. I think he is ready to put with other dogs. The others don't seem to be ready to get serious. The pups are from 6 mon to 8mon in age. One is actually over a year and had been out with older dogs on many occasions. She is the least interested in rabbits in the wild. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.