Young beagle jumping to steal food - help - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Young beagle jumping to steal food - help

Nhrapro840, I hope you get the "second-chance" that you seek! Life is full of uncertantys...I was lucky with my first one despite the health problems he had when I adopted him! To prepare, I had read an "old school" book like "Beagles" by Beverly Pisano & I would also reccomend "How dogs think" by Stanley Coren & "Training your Beagle" by Kristine Kraeuter. Kris was a fellow member of Dogjunction.com that bred beags & was my favourite person on that now extinct site about 10 yrs ago. Beagles are a challenge & "you must out-stubborn them when they are young...(Establish yourself as the "Alpha packmember" or they will not respect you). Beagles are so stubborn & independent that you need to assert yourself as the dominant force or (they will walk all over you)!!! Practice training the way dogs were originally accepted by feeding them after all the humans have eaten & fed them their leftovers, but avoid feeding them human food! (A stray piece of fat or gristle or veggies is ok, but make them wait until all humans are done)! I know it is cute to teach them tricks like begging, but that is better done with treats afterward)! I love Jethro as if he was my human kid...but you need to employ some tough-love if you want a well behaved dog!

I went and looked at My little Suzie's brother. No one wanted him from the litter. They thought that he would not make a good hunter. He looks a lot like my Suzie. The breeder told me that lately he has shown signs of being a hunting dog and has opened up and tracked rabbits. His father is one of the best rabbit dogs around, and his mother is a good hunter. The breeder told me that i could have him no charge. After a couple days of thought i decided to take him. He did not want to get in my car at the breeders house. Since then we have really hit it off. I have named him Buddy. He is probably the best beagle out there. I think i have him house trained just after a few days but i am not taking any chances at least for another week. I keep him by my side or in his pen. He is already going places with me. I even took him to a car show tonight in my pro street chevy vega and he loved it, even with the loud engine noise. I think he is going to be a fine rabbit hunting dog, but i am going to get a garmin astro gps tracking system before i take him in the field. I am not taking any chances of loosing him. I am bonding with him first and working on him responding to my voice.

Good for you & Buddy! Sometimes the shy or "more reserved" pups grow into very social & outgoing dogs! Jethro was the "runt of his litter" & the last one to be purchased from his breeders after 40 yrs of breeding beagles as they were in their "80's"! But thanks to what Pop & I have learned about beags, his "best treat now" is a visit to the dogpark! BUT, he may have a new favourite... as last friday we went fishing with Nibbler as well in the boat & he was facinated by the fish I caught! Nibbler the 11 yr old wanted to eat them off the hook & Jethro wanted to sniff them to death! Last fall the fishing was terrible w/o a single fish in late fall soo poor Jethro was confused about what the "boattrip was about"! He even managed to fall overboard as he got bored when we were anchored & fishing for bottomfeeders while walking/"balance-beam", walking the "gunwales"! Thankfully I was able to grasp his harness as he was soo disoriented that he started swimming away from our boat!

@nhrapro840
    Happy for you and Buddy