Deworming

Thread: Deworming

Deworming

I have an 8/9 year old beagle and I live in a condo which requires my beagle to use a common area. He is always getting worms and my vets bills were outrageous. So I finally did some research and started treating on my own. Then, I saw this website just for beagles which is totally awesome and read that I can use cattle dewormer. I need to know how much to give him. It is Safeguard .05%, 1 pound bag cattle dewormer. He weighs approximately 30 to 34 pounds. Help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Kelly,
    I just know saw your post about the cattle version of safeguard 5% in pellet form.

To dose your dog with this form of safeguard you need to know how much in weight of the pellet safeguard 5% it will take it equal the recommended amount of
    the active ingredient (fenbendazole) in safeguard 5% for your dogs weight.

Below is info from the Beagle Health section on this forum.
    >The recommended dosage of this exact product and strength is 1 ml (which contains 100 mg active ingredient fenbendazole) per 5 lbs of Beagle body weight.
    For example, a 25 lb Beagle would receive 5 ml per day for a 3 day period (total 3-day treatment consists of 15 ml). <
    This is using liquid fennbendazole (Safe-Guard ).

************************************************** ************************************************** *************
    OK the dose for a 35# dog will be : 100 mg of active ingredient for every 5 pounds , so , for your 35# dog we need aprox 700 mg. of the active ingredient
    (fenbendazole) using safeguard 5% alfalfa based pellets .

So now to figure how to get this from your pellet version safeguard 5%.

The alfalfa based pellets of safeguard 5% contain approx 227mg of fenbendazole for each 1/10 pound or 1.6 oz. , so , if we multiply this by 3 x 227 = 681 mg. of
    fenbendazole needed for you 34# dog. ( Approximate )

You will need to weigh the pellets to get the needed dose. 3/10 pound or ( 3 x 1.6 oz. = 4.8 oz ) , so if you can measure accurately the 4.8 oz of your pellets.
    Remember to dose for 3 days.

.................................................. .................................................. ..............................................
    I used the web site below as a source of info on you Safeguard 5% alfalfa based pellets to get information for dose amt needed .
    You should verify this for yourself.

http://www.drugs.com/vet/safe-guard-...pellets-10-lbs.
    .................................................. .................................................. ...............................................

In closing I would recommend using the liquid Safeguard in generic form (fenbendazole ) as it is much cheaper and easier to dose your dog accurately.
    Remember the safeguard or generic fenbendazole only treats certain types of parasites . Try and make sure you are using the correct wormer.

I hope this will help as I understand the need to save money when you can. If this is not clear or you need more info just post back or
    use the email function on this forum.

Best , oldhounddog

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
    Last edited by oldhounddog; 10-05-2011 at 11:27 AM.

Ivermectin is a popular cattle and swine dewormer that you can use also. I have even used it on birds to rid them of air sack mites. You can usually get it at a farm supply store and there is a lot of information on the internet about dosages.
    Clayton James
    Founder of FreeBeagleTraining.com

4. Remove Advertisements
    BeaglesUnlimited.com
    Advertisements