\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
\r\n
\r\n
\r\n \r\n \r\n

\r\n Article on Heartworm Prevention\r\n

\r\n \r\n\r\n\r\n \r\n \r\n
\r\n
\r\n
\r\n Hello, I\'m new to the site. I found it in searching for heartworm prevention for my beagles. I found the excellent article on inexpensive heartworm prevention using Ivomec instead of the more expensive canine preps like Heartgard.
\r\n
\r\nI have a question on the dosage tho. The article says the dosage used is .1 mL (cc) per 10lbs of body weight. The specs for Ivermec state that it is 10mg of Ivermectin per mL and that is a 1% solution. That means that .1 mL/10lbs would be 1 mg of Ivermectin. HOWEVER the recommended dosage of Ivermectin (and the amount in Heartgard) is 27 mcg/10lbs (.027 mg/10lbs).
\r\n
\r\nUnless I am doing the calculation wrong, it appears that the article is recommending about 40 times the recommended dose of Ivermectin (40 x .027 = 1.08).
\r\n
\r\nPlease help.
\r\n
\r\nThanks.\r\n
\r\n
\r\n\r\n \r\n
\r\n
\r\n \r\n
\r\n
\r\n
\r\n
\r\n -' + '->\r\n
\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n Reply With Quote Reply With Quote \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n\r\n \r\n \r\n\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n -' + '->\r\n
\r\n
\r\n
\r\n\r\n'; pd[1984] = '\r\n
  • \r\n\r\n\r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n #2\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n Debbie262\r\n \r\n
    \r\n Debbie262 is offline\r\n\r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n Junior Member\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n\r\n\r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n If it is the same thing my vet gives me for my dog (for mange) Imovec it is 1cc for 40 to 45lbs.\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n\r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n -' + '->\r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n Reply With Quote Reply With Quote \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n\r\n \r\n \r\n\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n -' + '->\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
  • \r\n'; pd[2187] = '\r\n
  • \r\n\r\n\r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n #3\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n oldhounddog\r\n \r\n
    \r\n oldhounddog is offline\r\n\r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n Senior Member\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n If you still need help with dosing please let me know, I have 10 hounds that I treat monthly with the exact dose that is in HG using ivermectin.
    \nIf yes I can give you what I have been using for years.
    \n\r
    \n\r
    \n\r
    \n\r100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n\r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n -' + '->\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
  • \r\n'; pd[2410] = '\r\n
  • \r\n\r\n\r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n #4\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n sr41056\r\n \r\n
    \r\n sr41056 is offline\r\n\r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n Member\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n I also use Ivermectin and never had a problem with it. I\'ve even used it on birds for air sack mites.\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n\r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    Clayton James
    \r\nFounder of FreeBeagleTraining.com
    \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n -' + '->\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
  • \r\n'; // next/previous post info pn[1886] = "2410,1984"; pn[0] = ",1886"; pn[1984] = "1886,2187"; pn[2187] = "1984,2410"; pn[2410] = "2187,1886"; // cached usernames pu[0] = guestphrase; pu[5380] = "drooperhaley"; pu[5403] = "Debbie262"; pu[1137] = "oldhounddog"; pu[816] = "sr41056"; // -->

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Article on Heartworm Prevention

Hello, I'm new to the site. I found it in searching for heartworm prevention for my beagles. I found the excellent article on inexpensive heartworm prevention using Ivomec instead of the more expensive canine preps like Heartgard.

I have a question on the dosage tho. The article says the dosage used is .1 mL (cc) per 10lbs of body weight. The specs for Ivermec state that it is 10mg of Ivermectin per mL and that is a 1% solution. That means that .1 mL/10lbs would be 1 mg of Ivermectin. HOWEVER the recommended dosage of Ivermectin (and the amount in Heartgard) is 27 mcg/10lbs (.027 mg/10lbs).

Unless I am doing the calculation wrong, it appears that the article is recommending about 40 times the recommended dose of Ivermectin (40 x .027 = 1.08).

Please help.

Thanks.