Beagles Unlimited Forums banner

False Pregnancy Blues

14K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  BigBys 
#1 ·
Our Jamby had gone through false pregnancy last year and it was pure torture for her and for us too. She was miserable the entire time and was slow to accept the fact that there were no puppies coming along. We decided not to have her bred last season and we are still thinking about it for the coming heat season for fear of letting her experience another false pregnancy all over again.

Are there ways to prevent false pregnancy?

#13 ·
A dog that has gone through a false pregnancy will also have milk let-down as though they really had whelped. Some dogs may lick their mammary glands thus the vet suggests putting on an Elizabethan collar for licking will prolong milk production and the accompanying discomfort.

#14 ·
I'm still contemplating on having my Jamby spayed. I guess it would be for the better. I don't want her to have to go through the experience of a false pregnancy. I gathered that there is a higher probability that it will happen again.

By the way, thanks for sharing your ideas. It has enlightened me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.