Worms and Deworming

Thread: Worms and Deworming

Worms and Deworming

I have been using Valbazen for the monthly deworming of my dogs. Last week I talked with a hunting buddy about his deworming practice and he used only Ivomec for his dogs. However, he used Valbazen whenever his dogs start looking unkempt and unhealthy.

Now, I'm still deciding which one to use. Is Ivomec effective for all worms--hookworms, tapeworms, roundwoms and heartworms? How about Valbazen? If possible, I want to use only one safe broadspectrum dewormer each month.

Any advice?

Although Ivomec is a broadspectrum dewormer it is not effective against tape worms. It is usually used as a heartworm preventative however its use should only be according to the instructions of the vet. If you are not sure whether your dog has heartworm or not, better see your vet before using ivomec.

Dogs with heartworms can easily get killed if given ivomec.

Like any other drug, Ivomec (Ivermectin) has to be given using the correct dose. There is still the big possibility that the worms can build resistance to Ivomec.

I rotate between Ivomec and Valbazen to prevent the development of worm resistance. I also see to it that I am following the desired dosage.

4. Remove Advertisements
    BeaglesUnlimited.com
    Advertisements

I use Interceptor for dogs. I use it once-a-month to prevent heartworm disease, control adult hookworm infection and remove and control adult roundworms and whipworms in dogs.

So far, the results are quite good enough for me.

Thumbs up

I use Drontal Plus for Dogs.

The old version of Drontal consisted only of Praziquantel which targets tapeworms.

However the one that I use now also contains Febantel and Pyrantel Pamoate with Praziquantel making it a good broadspectrum dewormer which can wipe out whipworms, hookworms, and tapeworms.

thanks for the input! I am thinking of coming up with a yearly rotational worming program for my pets. I guess it's much easier and safer that way.

I've never given my dogs the worming stuff. It's been a long time since I've had a puppy. It wasn't as big of a deal back then as it apparently is now.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

I rotate between Panacur and Drontal Plus. Panacur is safe during pregnancy however it is not effective against tapeworms which is transmitted by fleas. Drontal Plus on the other hand is not advisable during the pregnancy but is effective against tapeworms.

I use Iverhart Max which is actually a combination of Ivermectin/Pyrantel/Praziquantel. It packs a powerful punch against most parasites of dogs except whipworms. so I have to give something for whipworm two to three times a year.

Quote Originally Posted by ms.daisy View Post
    I use Iverhart Max which is actually a combination of Ivermectin/Pyrantel/Praziquantel. It packs a powerful punch against most parasites of dogs except whipworms. so I have to give something for whipworm two to three times a year.
    This sounds good. I might try this one when the time comes. Thanks