New to Owning a Beagle

Thread: New to Owning a Beagle

Question New to Owning a Beagle

I'm new to owning a beagle. I recently adopted a dog that's about 6 years old from a rescue a little over a month ago and it has not been easy since getting him. I asked for his history and all they said was that he was a stray. I also asked before getting him if he had any medical problem or just problems in general and they said nope hes a great dog. Don't get me wrong this dog is very loving calm and sweet but he has some big issues we were not expecting. First being his excessive peeing problem, we take him out then 20-30 min later he peeing in the house and we do take him out often. Next being his sever separation anxiety, we're trying to deal with this and hes getting a little better i think but that's up in the air sometimes. When we have to put him in a cage he tries to escape, bites at the cage, drools, barks, and throws up. I've been trying to do that whole desensitizing thing by trying to make it a safe spot like ill feed him and give him a bone in there an close it a little bit in and let him out when hes all finished, putting my clothing in there, an even just putting his bed in there and leaving the door open but when i do that he wont go in. I've been thinking about getting him a thunder jacket to see if that helps. We have also tried to keep him in the cage at night in our room with us and that did go as planned. My boyfriend works from home right now due to covid-19 and I don't but we're both extremely worried on what its going to be like when he goes back to the office and hes in a cage during the day for maybe 6+ hrs. I'm at a lost on what I should do now for him. Next being that he has a breathing problem and coughing problem. When hes sitting laying or sleeping you can hear him struggling to breath plus when he sleeps he literally sounds like an 80 year old man who's been smoking since the age of 9. Also hes so food greedy hes not aggressive when it comes to food but he just acts like we never feed him. Always by my feet in hopes I drop something come right up to you when he smells food and tries to get it. He is getting a little better with not coming right up to your face when you have food but has his moments. Again when asked if anything was wrong with him they said no I just wish they would have told me something so I would have been better prepared on what to do to help him. I am taking him to the vet for the breathing issue but for everything else I don't know what to do anymore and it becoming really stressful for us. The other night he peed on the bed and I almost lost it. I don't want to be part of the stigma of adopting and giving them back I'm so against it and I'm not giving up just yet but I'm lost here on what to do anymore. Is it common for beagles to have sever separation anxiety? And if so what do you recommend? Do beagles have a peeing problem as they get older? I just don't know what to do and I love this dog so much already that I don't want to return him but i feel like if this keeps going on I can't do it an I hate myself for even thinking that. Please anyone help me.

Seems like your rescue has anxiety, he pees like a puppy cause he’s happy or nervous, be patient, consistent, and play play play, even at 6 in a new home he’s a puppy to this home. Started from basics get a larger crate crate train him fresh, get new toys that fit his personality, and talk to him like he’s human, also remember he’s a hunting dog so play hunting games with him, he maybe a pet, but he still is a hound, let him know your frustrated, show your feelings, beagles they seem to understand, there weird. Snuggle, cuddle and be patient adopting a 6 year old child is hard, but in the end he will never forget, but remember he is a baby YOUR baby, hug him a lot oh and never never put him in a crate for 6 hr have someone come walk him if you have too, beagles need walked walked and then walked again even at 10 years old.GB

Ps snoring in beagles is normal all beagles sound like 80 old men