Beagles Unlimited Forums banner

Tell us a bit about yourself:)

1M views 105 replies 73 participants last post by  cottonbuds 
#1 ·
Here's a few suggestion questions that you can copy and paste if you want.

What's your name?

General Age?

Married? Children?

How many boxers? other dogs - what types? any other pets?

Where are you from?

What work do you do?

What do you like doing in your spare time [I know - what spare time!]

And do you have a picture of yourself? [it would be nice to see who we are talking to!]

#86 · (Edited)
Dog Dog breed Plant Carnivore Working animal
Hi Fellow Beagle Lovers,
My name is Casie and I have 2 male beagles. They are 1 1/2 years, brothers, named Sam & Marley. Although they are very loved (adored) by my family of 4, I can't seem to manage them beyond sit and down. I am looking for effective training tips, especially when it comes to coming when called and not running off. We live in Collinsville, Oklahoma. One of my boys has pretty crazy separation anxiety and the other one practically breaks down the door to run away. I have taken the runner to obedience school and I bought the anxious one a Thunder Shirt. The shirt seems to have helped somewhat. I would greaty appreciate any tips or advice on helping train my 2 unruly boys from running away, coming when called, and lessening separation anxiety. Thank you. I look forward to chatting. Casie

Attachments

#87 ·
Hi Cassie. For recall training we use a long lead and treats. We let Vazzle go out the length of the lead, call her back and reward her. It works really well because if she is in the fenced yard off leash, she comes in the house when called. I always reward my beagles with praise or reward when they come in the house when called. This training book is pretty helpful too
http://www.amazon.com/Training-Your...id=1403886309&sr=1-1&keywords=beagle+training

Separation anxiety can be a challenge but it is do-able. Routine helps alot. Always keep your coming and goings calm and pretty much ignore your beagle during those times. When I leave for work, I hand them a cookie and say "see you at 11" and go. When I get home I ignore them for a minute or so until they settle down. Leaving a TV or radio on helps also.

#88 ·
Cassie,
I'm not going to offer any help with separation anxiety strictly because once you hear it once, it will all seem to sound like the same thing on repeat. I have had 4 beagles in the last 8 years and 3 of them have had separation anxiety. Out of all the things that were suggested to me, truthfully, nothing really worked aside from managing the symptoms. For me the most important thing about your post is that you said your one pup is one that bolts out the door. I would HATE for you to ever have to experience losing your dog. Currently, I have 2 males and one female beagle. My 2 boys like 2 hunt and stop at nothing including digging multiple holes out of our fenced in yard to go after rabbits. I can't explain in words the horrific sense of panic you feel when you realize you can't find your babies. I hated that feeling and wanted to ensure that I would always be able to find my boys. Therefore, my husband and I bought Tagg, The GPS Pet Tracker. Its a small tracker that clips onto the dogs collar that knows where your dog is 24/7 and has an app for your phone that keeps you constantly aware of where they are if they are outside of the perimeter that you set. The website is www.Pettracker.com if you choose to purchase it, use this code: TA1449 and get 10% off a tracker.

#89 ·
Hello My name is Tim, 42 years old with a wife and three kids. I had 2 beagles eight years ago , Nellie and Kellie, they were great rabbit dogs and just great to be around. I do HVAC building automation and am trying to convince my wife to get another beagle. I miss running beagles very much, it hit me tonight as i was deer hunting on the land I used to rabbit hunt.

#90 ·
hello,

my name is tom I live in a small town just south of Pittsburgh, pa. I don't have a dog but i'm looking to get my son a beagle puppy soon as I can find one. I like to take hikes, fish, golf, and just hang around the house with my boy. don't have much spare time but when I do its either fishing or hiking. glad to be part of a beagle group this will be cool.

#91 ·
Greetings!

My family is picking up our beagle puppy ("Lady") on Saturday! We're super excited and will certainly be snooping around these forums for tips and tricks to make Lady feel right at home with all of us. Feel free to pass along advice and encouragement -- this is our first family dog and our first beagle (I had a Lab and a Golden as a child).

#94 ·
Hey everyone,

I'm Ricky, currently a mechanical engineering student in college in California. I have a spaniel-mix puppy, Max, who's a little over a year old. My spare time is split between getting more sleep and going to the beach with Max!

Thanks, and I'm hoping to interact with the community more!

#95 ·
Hi! My name is Alex. 31 years old. Currently single but with 3 amazing dogs. 2 mini pinscher and 1 pinny-poo. I'm from Chesapeake, VA. Currently I'm working as homebased freelancer as virtual assistant. During my spare time, I am riding my motorcycle just feeling the wind and go to places where there are amazing view and food.

Nice to meet you all!

#100 ·
Hello all. My name is Jared Smith age 35. My family currently has a 15 year old Beagle who is starting to slow down. We just picked up a 3 week old Beagle last weekend. He will be coming home with us on about another 5 weeks. Just getting on here to see what anyone else has to say about training a hunting Beagle

#103 ·
:cool:Hello Everyone,
I have literally just found this amazing forum & immediately thought i should register!!! My name's Jon, 25 from North Wales. I'm engaged and getting married in June this summer - so lots of exciting planning going on at the moment...
No children, but two gorgeous beagles - who mean the world to us.... Claude, who is 4 - bit of a grump, who has a proper show background in his family and walks very posh, ha ha! Missy our little princess, who is just 2. She is from a hunt background loves her long walks on the beach and in the fields and is constantly nose to the floor and wanting to play!!!!:eek:
Im training to become an accountant, but wont bore you with any of that!
Love to run and climb mountains when i have free time.... Looking forward to chatting on the forum's!!!!!:rolleyes:

This post has been deleted
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.