Beagles Unlimited Forums banner

Treats for Beagles

19K views 22 replies 15 participants last post by  sr41056 
#1 ·
Does anyone have a picky Beagle? Mine is very picky when it comes to treats, I have bought so many different kinds and he just spits them out, not sure why? Does anyone have any suggested popular treat recommendations? right now the only treat he will eat is the hill hypoallergenic treats from the vet even though he is not hupoallergenic the vet said he could still have them.

#10 ·
I haven't changed Badgers treats in months, he is just too picky so I don't bother buying other stuff any more. I'm just starting to notice lately stashes of treats buried all over in the house, so he isn't really eating them anymore. I will try the liver treats though, I do like to give him something a couple times a to reward him for being good.

#14 ·
Our beagles have never been picky eaters. In fact, quite the opposite; they have all been eager to eat most any and everything given to them, found in the yard or picked up along the side of the road.

The other evening I was walking Mable when she saw a discarded fast food container. Before I realized what happened, she was diving into a pile of fried chicken bones. I had to wrestle her down, pry open her jaws and pull the bones from the back of her mouth as she was trying her hardest to swallow them. On the way back down the road, she suddenly snatched another bone from the weeds on the other side of the road. We repeated the prying open the jaws exercise, and once again, managed to dislodge a chicken bone from the back of her throat.

We actually lost our previous beagle, Beazle, due to her insatiable quest for food. While cooking dinner, she lunged at an accidentally dropped chunk of cheese, then ran up the stairs with it. The cheese apparently got lodged in her throat and she suffocated. It was very sad, but if there's one thing that I've learned, dogs and (especially our beagles) are completely untrustworthy when it comes to food.

#15 ·
Aarooogh, Badger does the same thing when we walk, it's amazing how he can find bones and even more amazing how many people just throw the bones on the ground.

I am sure many people have driven past me laughing as me as I wrestle my beagle and pry open his mouth to get the bone out!!!

I am also sorry to hear about Beazle. I have to be careful to Badger sits right between my legs when I cook waiting for me paitiently to drop something.

#18 ·
i notice my dog makes stashes of his dog treats and every once in a while i will see him with one and im like, wait did i just give you that and i forgot? i have to change my dog's food every once in a while also, cause he gets tired of a certain kind of food and he wont eat it no matter what i put on it. and he starts losing a lot of weight. what is a good type of dog food to keep weight on a dog. cause it is late fall now and im worried about him being too thin in the winter.

#20 ·
Most of my beagles will eat anything, but I one girl who loves the Pedigree Marrow Bones. She won't take the other treats if she knows I have them - and she always knows. She will "ask" for them and will sometimes bother you until you give her one. If you ask her what she wants, she will go into the kitchen and stare at the bag on top of the refrigerator. I have had others who would only eat the REAL Meaty Bones. I think they have favorites, just like we have favorite foods.

#21 ·
Well I have to say it's a load of poop that beagles eat everything cause I am right there with you. Niko (my beagle) is picky too with dog treats. I have tried many and in the end the only treats he will eat is: PUPCORN cheese flavor, Chicken Poppers, Chicken Strips, dog cheese from Scotland, Breath busters and the odd time Hartz dental bone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.