Beagles Unlimited Forums banner

Beagle puppy stopped playing with owner

4K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Scout 
#1 ·
Greetings,

I'm Hangman and I'm new here. This afternoon I took Lexi out for play with Kong which has been the routine around here for many months. And for the past two weeks when we go out and I throw her Kong to play fetch she may retrieve it one or two times and she quits. She knows the game well; I have bad knees so I don't get to walk or play with her as much as a Beagle puppy requires. Two weeks ago when it happened the first day I thought little of it, but since then her behavior remains unchanged.

Lexi is a female beagle. She's 9 months old and has no shortage of energy. She's in great shape and in good health. She enjoys her walks and used to enjoy playing fetch in her backyard. She still plays fetch indoors. Then one day about two weeks ago I took Lexi to the backyard to play fetch. She retrieved Kong a couple of time then lost all interest in playing. Instead she grabs sticks and rocks and runs off to another part of the yard to be alone to play with them.

Today it happened again. I know beagles chase their nose and because they do its easy for them to break concentration for the first year or two. But having observed her over these past two weeks I've ruled that out Lexi isn't my first beagle. She's not being distracted she simply loses interest in playing.

After giving it some thought it dawned on me that I maybe the problem? I wonder if I'm not doing something, not spending more time with her? So I'd like the thoughts of other beagle people.

Thank you

See less See more
#2 ·
Update - July 15th:

This morning Lexi and I went for a walk. After that I fed her but she hasn't touched her food at all today. I decided to spend more time with her playing today and she seems to be spirited and playful and when we played Kong she hung in for several minutes and then lost interest and sat down to chew on some old branches she found in the yard and on rocks. When it was her 2nd feeding time today she ate at couple bites at most. Her morning BM appeared normal so I'll call her vet tomorrow.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.