show your support

Common Household Foods that are Poisonous for your Beagle

Beagles love to eat and many are willing to eat whatever you are willing offer and lots of things that you don’t offer as well. While this most often can result in a tummy ache from overeating or some weight gain, there are times when it can have more serious consequences. Some common household items and foods are quite poisonous to dogs. Since the Beagle is a small dog, it takes far less of a substance to cause a serious reaction that it would in a larger dog. Here are a few foods you should ensure that your Beagle does not have access to.

Fruits & Vegetables

Most fruit and vegetables are perfectly safe choices for treats and your beagle will thank you however there are a few you should avoid. Onions and other plants in the allium family can cause gastric upset in your Beagle and in large quantities, it can even damage red blood cells, leading to anemia. Although scientists have yet to figure out why, grapes and raisins can cause kidney failure in dogs as well.

Avocados, and the bark, leaves and stems of the plant can cause vomiting and diarrhea in small quantities and can be fatal in larger quantities. Tomatoes and raw potatoes contain glycoalkaloid solanine. Ingestion of these vegetables can lead to violent vomiting and severe diarrhea.

Hidden Ingredients
Most people are aware that chocolate is poisonous to dogs. However, many don’t realize that many caffeinated substances including coffee and colas contain theobromine as well. While many dogs are unlikely to drink pop or black coffee, many will gladly slurp down coffee that has lots of cream and sugar in it.

Xylitol is a common additive to many sweets and commercial food products, as well as toothpaste, gum and other products. It is also poisonous to dogs, causing liver failure. This is one of the reasons that it is important to use a toothpaste designed specifically for dogs if you intend to brush your Beagle’s teeth.

Alcohol is another common additive to many foods. Unlike black coffee and colas, man dogs love the taste of alcohol and will gladly empty a glass left lying around. Dogs can get alcohol poisoning just like people, it just takes significantly less especially for a small dog like a Beagle. The symptoms are similar to those of inebriation and alcohol poisoning in people – central nervous system depression, loss of balance, vomiting, and in severe cases, coma and death.

Unexpected Ingredients

Many dogs do not tolerate lactose well. While they may manage low lactose dairy products like yogurt, higher lactose levels like those of cow’s milk can cause digestive upset including vomiting and diarrhea.

Raw eggs are often offered as an occasional treat but given too often can cause problems. Ignoring the potential issues of salmonella contamination, raw eggs contain avidin. If the latter is consumed in too high a quantity it can interfere with the body’s ability to absorb biotin which is a B vitamin. Cooking the egg reduces the effects of avidin. So, a raw egg everyday would be a bad idea but occasionally isn’t likely to be harmful.

Raw dough can occasionally cause problems as well. The yeast can be activated in the stomach leading to a rapid buildup of gas and even rupture of the intestine. Raw meats are usually fine but should always be handled with care to avoid bacterial contaminants.

Fats in small amounts as an occasional treat are fine if your Beagle is not overweight. However, too much fat not only puts your pet at risk of obesity and all its consequences, it also creates the potential for an attack of pancreatitis. In smaller dogs, it is much easier to offer too much fat than it is in large dogs. Pancreatitis is painful and potentially fatal if not treated in time. If you wish to offer your Beagle the occasional bit of human food, it is safer and healthier to stick to vegetables, leans meats, and fruit.

Although most human foods pose no risk to your Beagle, always double check if you are unsure. Children with potentially dangerous foods should be carefully supervised when around the dog. A well-meaning child may offer a potentially dangerous food like chocolate to your dog in an attempt to be friendly and share the bounty. Ensure that poisonous items are kept out of reach of dog and child for the safest options when unsupervised.

Photo credit: Carregado por Taz80/Wikimedia

Should you have a concern regarding the health of your Beagle(s), you should contact your veterinarian. All information on this site is presented solely for educational and informational purposes and should not, at any time, be considered a substitute for seeking or receiving veterinary care for your Beagle(s).