Beagles Unlimited Forums banner

Chocolate and more bad foods for dogs

17K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  oceangypsy 
#1 ·
I read somewhere that chocolates should never be given to dogs because chocolate contains a "substance" that is toxic to dogs.

Aside from chocolates, are there other foods out there that we should not give our pets?

#2 · (Edited)
I read somewhere that chocolates should never be given to dogs because chocolate contains a "substance" that is toxic to dogs.

Hello Davey!

Chocolates contain Theobromine that dogs cannot metabolize. Dogs that consumed chocolates often suffer from heart and nervous problems which are highly risky and can lead to death.

Aside from chocolates, Grapes and raisins are also a NO-NO since they can cause kidney failure.

#4 ·
Here are other foods that you should NEVER give your dog--

1. walnuts and macadamia-->There have been cases when death occurred within 12 hours after consuming a considerable amount of these nuts.

2. onions --> blood abnormalities and breathing difficulties particularly in small dogs

3. candies or Xylitol ( a sweetener which is often used in diet products)--> cause hypoglycemia which may often lead to nervous signs including loss of coordination and seizures.

#5 ·
Are you feeding your dogs any organ meats such as kidneys and liver? Although they are very good sources of protein, excessive consumption often leads to a condition known as Hypervitaminosis A or Vitamin A Toxicity.

Moderation is still the best way to go because these organ meats are very high in Vitamin A.

#6 ·
I remembered an article I read a few years back that cat food can be toxic to dogs. Cat food is very high in protein and fats which can predispose acute pancreatitis. It is also for this reason that dog owners should exercise caution in giving their pets fatty foods such as ham and bacon during mealtime.

#12 ·
My older dog that behaves very well and does not get into things......the other day DH had Chinese take out and threw the bag in the garage trash can. It is a small can and an easy reach for the doggy. Well, he reached in opened the bag and helped himself to the left overs. I was so scared that he had eaten some of the plastic bag! Thankfully, he did not and was ok.

#14 ·
Mine doesn't really get into anything either. These two have never even chewed on my shoes. They seem to know their toys. However, that grease from the grill made a big impression on the older dog. I'm telling you, there's nothing like going into the kitchen and seeing her standing and enjoying a treat of the unintended kind.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.