Beagles Unlimited Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Hi catlady ,
Welcome to the forum , Good Questions.....

>do you think a beagle could be trained to hunt for antler sheds?<
The short answer is yes , if you have the time to put into this effort and have an antler for the scent work. Basic positive method will work best. IMO

>I'd like something that can stand cold weather as well as I live in ND.<
This is a very good question , however , is too open ended for me to answer. Is dog to be an inside dog? Will exposure to extreme cold be of limited duration with some type of paw protection? Lastly , I am just not sure a Beag can handle the ND. winter weather as there coat is not really suited for this extreme cold...IMO

>I know beagles are used at airports but they aren't outside and don't have to compete with animal scents either haha.<
You are very correct and make a good point. The controlled environment to work in at the airport with few distractions does make a big difference. These dogs are professionally trained and do this type of work daily and do a good job , so yes , a Beag can do this...

This sounds like a good topic to discuss with someone with winter experience with dogs in your area ?

Best , oldhounddog

·
Registered
326 Posts
catlady ,

I have no experience with antler shed hunting , this sounds like fun for dog and handler. To be honest , It has been a long time since my last Beagle , and today most of my work is rescue/training of hound breeds , most of which are Redbone coonhounds with a couple of setter mix and one Black and Tan. I have a good idea of what you will need , however , I do not train for air scent work anymore. In the past I've trained trailing , tracking and air scent work off leash with dogs trained to stay within aprox 100 feet of me , and what you may end up needing may be a combination specialized to your task.

I am sending you a PM.
Best , oldhounddog

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.