Beagles Unlimited Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,
I have a fat 4 1\2 year old female Beagle, this is my first one... Beagle that is. The problem is that I can't seem to get a handle on it. I've never had problems figuring out when and how much to feed a dog till now and even though I've had her since a pup, I'm at a loss. I usually give her 1 1\2 cups in the morning (used to do in the evening) and about 1\2 cup in the evening (use to do it in the morning). I've tried different foods, schedules. amounts and brands. I don't want her to be "overfed" but she acts like she's starving all the time (yes, shes been wormed) and the seemingly small amount of food I give her makes me feel like I am "underfeeding" her. I will admit that I snack her at times. I'm actually tempted to cut out processed dog food all together and give her table scraps to see what happens. After all, until the introduction and what is now the over "proliferation" (?) of processed pet foods, pet's were generally very healthy and in my opinion, there were far fewer health issues with them as well.

Any constructive advice will be greatly appreciated.............

Thank you

·
Registered
299 Posts
Yes, beagles can plump up quickly and it can be tough to slim them down. Some foods do tend to make them heavier. Vazzle was being fed Science Diet when we adopted her and she was pretty chunky. You can cut the kibble back and add things like green beans and peas as fillers. Good for fiber also. I use kibble as treats a lot of times, that helps to keep their weight down. My girls get fed about 3/4 cup twice a day but they get treats also as well as veggies and fruit.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi :) my beagle acts like he's starving all the time also but I know he's a beagle ..... He would eat all day if I let him:)
Mine gets 1/2 cup 2x daily and tons of treats( but like one Charlie bear at a time as he wolfs it down so he doesn't know its small) I also add water to his food so it seems like more and it slows him done by 10 seconds or so....the tennis ball or special bowl didn't work for him to slow him down.....anyway like mom2 beagles said green beans and peas are great treats :) good luck.... Beagles rock :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts