Beagles Unlimited Forums banner

Beagles and Water

34K views 19 replies 20 participants last post by  MaciMouse 
#1 ·
we have just adopted our second beagle after our first passed six months ago. He is roughly two years old and just like our first little buddy... he's frightened of water. Just turning the hose on makes them run for the hills. I took my first beagle to dog beach and I ended up dragging him along the sand closest to the cliffs and away from the ocean. When you give him a bath he turns in to rigor mortis dog.

Is this a trait of the breed or did I just get lucky :)

#2 ·
Ours is pretty similiar, but seems ok near still water, such as canals (which he fell in twice). ive yet to introduce him to the sea, but weve got that pleasure in May. I thought the hose aversion was my fault, as I thought it would be easier to wash him down outside rather than the bath and ever since, like yours if I even advance towards the hose he's gone.
Daz :)

#6 ·
Both of mine LOVE water. If we're walking near water, they're coming home wet (which is not always a good thing). A creek is not any kind of barrier in the woods either.

When we go to the beach my female swims out to us and we have to bring her back to shore. They both don't mind baths either. As long as you are rubbing, they are just standing there enjoying the attention. I can even bath them in the yard with the garden hose (brrr - but that's what you get when you roll in poop) with no collar to hold onto.

#7 ·
Both our beagles are scared of water and it is very strange as they have never had a bad experience...
As soon as the hose gets turned on in the garden, they run into there beds or to the back of the kennel... We walk them on the beach all the time and they only go into the sea as far as there knee's not even for a toy! Although they love walking in the rain and getting very muddy - v.strange!!! They never have a bath :-(

#10 ·
Well, when my family and I went to a lake (for Tanks first time, my beagle) I didn't know if he could swim or not. I kinda figured he didn't like the water, so I picked him up an went waist deep and tossed him in. He didn't come up at first, but I figured I should wait it out. And a few seconds he surfaced, and swam to shore. Not liking water is a trait, but I think Tank doesn't like it because of passed experiences..

#11 ·
I have two beagles: the 8yr old guy will not go into the pool.... but is not affraid of the hose or dirty lake water... donot take hime to the beach because he would suck up every inch of salt water... the little guy, i adopted just turned 5 and he is affraid to get a bath... I think beagles arent big water dogs.......

#12 ·
I wouldn't say Abbie LIKES the water, but she doesn't dislike it. She'll go in by herself. We were in a park and there was about 40 ducks in the lake and she jumped in and swam with them. I don't think she was chasing them, she was just curious. And in the summer, we put her life jacket on her and go tubing down the river with her (takes about 4 hours). When it's bath time, she just sits there. One time she fell asleep hahah

#15 ·
My Beagle didnt like water either, including bathing. Once we were at a festival with him and it was very hot out and he actually waded into the water all by himself and stayed there for several minutes, later I waded in and tried to get him to come back in and he would have no part of it. I guess he knew how to cool down even though we had plenty of drinking water available for him as well as shade and his favorite blanket to lie on! So guess they just arent a water dog.

#16 ·
I have a 6 year old beagle who doesn't like the water either. When i gave her her first couple baths she was horrible! I would have to pick her up and put her in the tub, and have somebody else hold her while i shampoo'd her, and she would get loose and runaway and hide. Now she'll actually sit in the water and stay until i'm done. So, it's not a trait, but an occasional habit.

#19 ·
I have a special one

I have had 3 beagles thus far. The first one ( I lost last year around Easter) was petrified of water. His brother is okay about water, but just not excited for it. However, my puppy who just turned 1 last month, will jump in the tub with you and start drinking. When we give him a bath, we have to be careful so he doesn't drink the soapy water. We want to get a little pool to see how he does. So this one LOVES water. :p

#20 ·
My little girl loves the water! Which is perfect since we live in cottage country! She's been introduced to it since she was just a baby, was bathed before we brought her home from the breeder, and we have bathed her many times in the months since we got her - though not by choice, what a dirty little girl! Always playing in the dirt!
Took her to the beach once, but it was late in the season so the water was getting quite chilly (she was approx. 3 months old then). She had no interest in staying in the water, swam straight for shore! But didn't seem afraid at all.
We had her out for a hike at the falls over the Easter weekend and she stood in a shallow current, the water was still freezing but she did it all on her own! I think she'll be quite the water lover this summer once it warms up!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.