Beagles Unlimited Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Our Dixie is a rescue beagle though she did not come from a laboratory she was dumped in the middle of the hot desert and found woundering on the side of the road. She was covered in ticks and sores. After we adopted we took her in for all her shots and a check-up, she was given a clean bill of health. But when we first brought Dixie home she was afraid of anything and everything and getting her to eat was a nightmare. She refused to eat crunchy dogfood or canned, we keep trying and she finally eat some canned beef dogfood and after sometime she started eating some crunchy bite size pieces of dry. It took lots of love and patience with her to get her to eat.
We have now had her for 8 months and she is just really beginning to come out of her shell she was in. In the beginning she was very shy and timid. Any sudden noises or moves towards her would scare her to death. We had to be patient with her but once she realized she wasn't going to be hit or worse she came around. Now she loves to go on rides and walks in the park. We have even found her in our closet on her daddies clean clothes. Last week the boys found her on the table looking for food. So I would say she has finally become comfortable enough with us to know she isn't going to get hurt any more.
I think rescue beagles just need time, patience and lots of love. Once they know they are safe and no harm will come to them they come around fairly quickly.

· Registered
8 Posts
Not everyone is carved out to take care of these "scarred" creatures. It will take time, endless patience, and tons of effort to earn their trust in man again.
It is so true, the first few weeks with our Dixie she was afraid of everything and getting her to eat anything was a nightmare she was so afraid of something bad happening to her but it has been 9 months later with our sweet little girl and she has let out all her beagle traits now, our only big problem with her now is her seperation anxiety issue, we can't leave her alone by herself because she just bays and howls like crazy, we hope that one day she will get past this in the meantime we have to make sure someone is with her all the time.
But she is the best and sweetest dog ever and if I had to do it all over again yes I would.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.