Beagles Unlimited Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seeing a post about ear infections reminded me about this. My first beagle was highly prone to clots in her ears. I guess it's from flapping those adorable ears of hers, but I think over the course of her lifetime, her little ears were bandaged from operations 8 times. My second beagle never had that issue. Was this a rarity for the first, or did I just luck out the second time?

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Aww, poor doggie. Having to have those ears bandaged is no fun! Are you talking about a blood clot, like a hematoma? Some dogs are more prone to those.

·
Registered
39 Posts
beagles flap their ears because of the presence of mites or there might be the start of an infection in ear. Tick bites or mosquito bites can also cause a beagle to flap its ears. Whatever may be the exact cause, a hematoma should best be examined by the vet.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I don't think it is that common, although some dogs are more prone to it than others. Perhaps it was just that way for her. It does seem that once a dog has it, they are more likely to continue having this.

·
Registered
32 Posts
There was this dog with a hematoma which was not given proper treatment and the poor dog ended with an ear hardened and wrinkled like a prune.

·
Registered
34 Posts
my male beagle had it on its right ear flap I had to bring him to the vet. so far, he has not had it again. I hope it stays that way though

·
Registered
32 Posts

the vet described the pinna as having 3-layers-- skin, cartilage and skin. Frequent head shaking results in the breaking of capillaries that may lead to oozing of fluid between the layers. When this happens, the fluid separates the skin on the underside of the pinna from the cartilage. When swelling happens the area is subject to a lot of pressure causing pain.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts