Beagles Unlimited Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey y'all,

So Charlotte went into heat (the bleeding stage) on Monday, March 4th and began her fertile stage (the straw colored stage) on Tuesday, March 12th. We kept a diaper and cover on her but after a few days her and Tucker figured out how to take them off, though I was pretty diligent about keeping an eye on them and putting it right back on or separating them. Tucker has never bred before and was pretty clueless about the whole thing. He'd try mounting her sideways, he'd be too far away from her back end if he did get up on the back of her, he'd start the motion and then get down and make a mess all over the floor...just pitiful, really. Honestly, I don't think she is pregnant, even if we wanted to breed them, I don't think he ever figured out the proper technique. But, that being said, I know sometimes nature has a way of making things work.

So here are my questions:
1. Tucker lost ALL interest in her on Wednesday, March 20th. Couldn't get enough of her the night before, woke up in the morning, sniffed her, and walked away. So does that mean her heat is over?

2. If by some miracle she did get pregnant, what should I be looking for and what should I do for her? I know gestation is about 63 days, but is there any good resources for a schedule of events leading up to delivery that will alert me before I'm suddenly a puppy grandmother?

3. She's only 10 months old, which is too young for her to be having puppies according to every thing I am reading. What kind of dangers/problems am I looking at if she is pregnant?

4. Her nipples are still protruding from going through heat and I noticed that one of the nipples is actually a double nipple. Weird, huh? That isn't a question, just an observation. ;)

Thanks for reading all this, if you've got any insight, I'd really appreciate it!

Leighann

1 - 1 of 1 Posts