Beagles Unlimited Forums banner

How long should 10 week old be able to hold it?

7K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  oldhounddog 
#1 ·
Ok, so we got our puppy about a week and a half ago, and he turned 10 weeks on Saturday. He was already crate trained, thank goodness, and he's taken really well to his potty training. He's had minimal accidents the past week. For some reason though he's been having trouble holding it through the night. It's only happened 3 times (not back to back nights), but I'm feeling REALLY bad for him. I know he doesn't want to pee in his crate, and I don't want him to be miserable all night!

I'm just wondering what you all have experienced with beagles and how long they can hold it. I don't want to get him into the habit of going out at 1 or 2 in the morning and then not be able to get him back to staying in all night. If I'm being super cruel by keeping him in his crate all night, please tell me. I don't want him to suffer!

-Kristi and Chipper

Discussion starter · #3 ·
Thanks so much for the advice! I will establish a set potty spot for him so he knows when I take him there it's not for playtime. We took up the water a couple of hours before bed last night, but it didn't help this time. He fell asleep earlier than usual though so the time period between potty breaks was longer. We'll just keep plugging away!

Thanks for the odor remover recommendation as well.

-Kristi

Discussion starter · #5 ·
Just wanted to reply with an update. Each time I take him out now, I set him down in the same spot. He doesn't always pee right there, but he seems to be getting that when I put him down there it's potty time. Well that and the fact that I use the word "potty" constantly when I'm trying to get him to go. Also he has started whining when he needs to go at night, so I can get up and take him before he goes in his crate. He usually doesn't whine until 3-4 and he goes back to his crate no problem after peeing :)

I'm happy with the situation as it is. He doesn't have to go out in the middle of the night EVERY night, so it doesn't seem like he's making it a habit.

Thanks again for the advice!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.